1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wooden Lens tripod bracket/collar like the Novoflex astat --- Calling all woodworkers /DIYers

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by raay, Jul 24, 2014.

1. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Scouring the net the suddenly came upon this website , the guy of the website makes Wooden Lens collars
    Nikon-105mm-V1.
    Currently he is making for mainly wide angle lenses for panorama support but i belive this idea is similar to Novoflex Astat adapter and can be made to fit the lens adapters for the nex . this could really be a sturdy tripod collar . Take a look at the website for more Info.

http://www.bophoto.com/bracket/bracket-Nikon-105mm.html

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    First of all, thanks for the post...seeing new innovative ways of doing things is always interesting.
    And it may be wording and/or my inability to grasp this easily so please bear with me.
    In reading / looking at his website, it seems they are designed to fit a specific lens...not adjustable to be used with different lens diameters so I assume that's the point of possibly having them made to fit an NEX adapter...a constant diameter item.
    But a question comes to my mind about the sturdiness / reliability of a piece of wood for an adapter...don't know.
    And the price is pretty substantial.

By contrast, good strong tripod foot adapters are already available with a tripod foot designed into them...for example, this sturdy Canon FD / NEX Tripod Foot Adapter made by CIECIO7 accepts / mounts all my Canon FD lenses from 24mm to 400mm tele on my NEX-7...and costs about $100 USD...noticeably less than he's asking for a wooden one cut with a laser.

3. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Well he is using particla boards , and if we use hard wood it should be as durable as the metal foot adapter you mentioned , moreover one person who has five different adapters would cost too much , Iam not asking anybody to buy from him ,iam just asking DIY ers to see this website and device something , i myself have some plans to build a Tripod adapter like the novoflex astat , so scouring the net i found this!!

4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Now that's understandable for sure...