Wive's Uncle is a NEX-7 owner. Conversation with him.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davect01, May 2, 2015.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    My wife's uncle owns the NEX-7 and has for two years now. I just found this out, two weeks ago. I thought I would bug him a bit about his experiences and what he thinks of the platform and thought I would share some of his thoughts.

He bought the NEX-7 as a travel system two years ago with the black 18-55mm and additionally bought the 55-210mm. I looked at some of the images and what he thought of the results. They are more than adequate to cover vacation photos, and there are some very nice images in the mix.

I asked him what attracted him to the platform. He said the size/portability and price were the biggest considerations. He wanted better shots than his point and shoot and cell phone, but he was not interested in becoming a DSLR owner. The NEX-7 was a perfect fit for his budget and desires. He also mentioned that this is strictly a trip or special occasion system. He has no desire to carry around a camera every day. He said it gets used maybe three or four times a year.

I asked him about the lenses. He said the lenses were more than adequate, and expressed some interest in a smaller pancake lens, perhaps the 20mm, but he said he would never spend more than $300.00 on a lens. I mentioned some of the nicer lenses available, and the prices they can go for and he was shocked. "Who would spend $600 on a lens?" I also asked if he was interested in upgrading the camera and he simply said, "Why, it works perfectly."

In our discussion, I mentioned this forum and a fellow NEX forum and asked if he would join. He said, he would perhaps visit, if he ever had an issue with the camera, but that was about it and had no interest in becoming a regular member. Just some thoughts to keep in mind as we discuss the system.

I think he is very typical of the average NEX(Alpha) buyer. They are looking for a better than a cell phone system, are not looking to buy expensive lenses, don't use it all that often and are not looking to upgrade anytime soon

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA

Pretty much how I feel about mine...and I use mine pretty heavily every day year round.

3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I bought mine so I could use/enjoy taking photos with the legacy lenses I've got. I don't have any native lens. I did try a lens my sis-in-law had on her Nex3, at least I think it may have been a 3, not sure, can't remember, old age, where was I? oh Yeah, no native lens. I was wondering what you guys thought would be a good one to get (cheaply) just so I could use the camera as a 'point 'n shoot' on occasion. I think the lens I tried was a 16-? and I didn't care too much for the way it distorted the view/picture at 16, so that's too wide for my liking.
    Suggestions?

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    When I was using the NEX-6, I had the first-ever kit lens E 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 as a snapshot lens, made a lot of family pictures with it and was happy with the results. Get one second-hand and you won't break the bank (less than 100 euros in my country). Alternatively, you can do what Dave (the OP here) did, get a Sony FE 28-70mm. It has more reach and the shortest focal length is nice for snapshots too; it's more expensive however, bought mine second-hand for 250 euros.

5. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for the input Ad.
    Just to show my ignorance of the Sony system, I assume both of those lenses work on a -7 without the need for an adapter. Correct?
    Now for part two of my 'dilemma' so to speak.
    I've almost got myself convinced I need to save up for an A7 body instead of buying a native lens for the -7.
    Thoughts?

(I know this is really mixing apples with oranges isn't it? But I've been drooling over the A7 pics here for a while, sorry.)

6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yep, both lenses fit on the A7 but you will need the A7 to work in APS-C crop mode with the 18-55mm and that means that you won't use the full-frame goodness of the A7. It's rather pointless IMHO to get an A7 if you only intend to use E lenses on it (as opposed to FE lenses, specifically meant for the A7 series cameras). The FE 28-70mm works in full-frame mode on the A7 but has less telephoto reach than the 18-55mm on a NEX-7.

7. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    OK, thanks for that Ad.
    I should have said "....lenses work on a Nex-7..", but I understand what you're saying. To be truthful, I don't think I'd be using a native lens on an A7 much as I'd be happy using my legacy glass on it since it's going to give me full frame goodness at their prescribed FL's. ie a 50mm will be 50mm, no crop factor involved.
    It all gets so convoluted when trying to 'not' want something.

8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Resistance will probably be futile. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Same here...I only use Canon FDn manual lenses and...knock on wood...they continue to serve my particular areas of interest perfectly.

10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Portability as a travel camera was a big factor for me as well. And your wife's uncle is obviously not a hobbyist photographer, therefore he is right on all counts. He's covered for basically 90% of circumstances for shooting needs. And probably never exceed the capabilities of his system. (most folks never do.)
    Only enthusiasts like me would have a dozen primes in a bag, and a growing collection of same focal lengths. And see nothing wrong with that. ;)

AlwaysOnAuto:

+1 with Ad's recommendation. If you're going to get one native E mount lens to use the NEX's features, get the 18-55. Kit lenses get maligned, but this one is great for the money and is an excellent performer. 2nd hand or refurbed, they are cheap too.
    It only has trouble in low light conditions. You gain OSS, AF, phase detection (not sure if the NEX-7 has it), and all the camera's automated options.

For a prime, I'd recommend the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 Art. Low cost, fabulous image quality, good low light performance, small size.
    The focal length for a NEX is probably the most useful for coverage of most shooting situations. You lose OSS though.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Some good thoughts here.

Is there any kind of survey or information that details the average usage of camera users?

12. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    A7 + legacy glass = :D :D :D

• Like Like x 2