• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

With all the legacy glass in these forums...

RalllyFan

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Tom
Has anyone considered using film again? Or does anyone currently use both?

With three LTM lenses now, I've been getting the itch for film again. Though I have a perfectly good Nikon FM2n, I've spent a good portion of the last few days drooling over the somewhat affordable Leica M4 series, Leica III's, and also the Voigtlander Bessa's. I have to say, I'm probably going to pick one up early next year. I still imagine I'd shoot 85% digital/15% film, I'm just missing some of the look and feel of film, especially for black and white. Or maybe I'm just missing some of the romance working with film provides. Fortunately, I have a local camera shop less than a mile away that still does professional grade processing, so that helps make the decision a little easier! Probably wouldn't be to hard to process and scan the negatives at home, either (it's probably been 20 years since I've done that!).

Anyone else ever get a similar feeling?

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
I shoot on a ratio of 85% digital and 15% film, other than adjusting my shooting style (a 50mm on the slr will be a 50 and a 75mm on a cropped digital sensor) I no longer have a darkroom set up and getting my film developed is a bit of a pain as I have to travel a bit to get my rolls processed (they're not cheap either) so I shoot film, but sparringly. If you miss the look of film especially on b+w, you may want to try Silver Efex Pro 2, it has filters to emulate various b+w film types, and you can even create your own preset which is pretty neat. I like Freddytto's work and he uses SE2 a lot.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
No I can't say I've ever thought about going back to have a play again with film. 12 or 24 or 36 roll shots is just too limiting. I no longer have my darkroom either and without full control there, sending the film to be processed and printed by someone else is just too hit-and-miss.

ponyslaystation

TalkEmount Regular
I was lucky enough to get many FD lenses for free a while ago. After that I saw a great condition A1+50 1.8 on craigslist for $30 so it was a no brainer. And next semester I have a photography class that requires film anyway.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
I shoot on a ratio of 85% digital and 15% film, other than adjusting my shooting style (a 50mm on the slr will be a 50 and a 75mm on a cropped digital sensor) I no longer have a darkroom set up and getting my film developed is a bit of a pain as I have to travel a bit to get my rolls processed (they're not cheap either) so I shoot film, but sparringly. If you miss the look of film especially on b+w, you may want to try Silver Efex Pro 2, it has filters to emulate various b+w film types, and you can even create your own preset which is pretty neat. I like Freddytto's work and he uses SE2 a lot.

That's right, 98% of all my photographs are using Silver Efex pro2, I love the ease of handling B / W, and you mention your Fenix ​​com has varos filters emulating different types of films, it's great.
I have an old canon a film camera, very rare that I use,( like 3 years ago) also I have the Yashica TL Electrox, works perfectly, but I can find the battery, :(, very rare used film in these days, don't have a dark room, but I would like to have it but it's too expensive, so digital is easier and does not require much money and space, so in Digital just need a Nex, Silver efex, laptop and a good printer.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Growing up around my dad's cabinets and cabinets and CABINETS of film slides, and still remembering the years it took him to digitize everything, I have zero interest in going that way. :)

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I've considered what I call a "hybrid" shoot flow for certain things. Basically, shooting film then scanning. IME my old Kodachrome and Tri-X captures have a certain character that cannot quite be replicated by any plug-in I've tried yet.

On the other hand, for what I'm trying to do these days, it really is pretty hard to beat these latest sensors. Just for kicks, I hauled my OLD old rig along on my big road trip and did some shots side by side. At least in that instance, the NEX-7 captures thoroughly and repeatedly trounced those from my old Nikon F3 w/ Fuji Velvia 50. The film colors may have had a slight edge from time to time but nothing overall worth the considerable fuss.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
No, I don't really miss film. I use Silver Efex Pro and True Grain to get that Tri-X look and I'm satisfied. I like film but I really like the fact that my 32GB SD card is the equivalent of 200 rolls of film.

RT_Panther

TalkEmount Veteran

RalllyFan

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Tom
I currently use both and this is my film workhorse...Yes, I still love shooting with film.. :cool:

Thanks, I was starting to feel lonely in here! I agree with all the perks of digital, and I don't think I'd shoot film without my NEX in the bag as well, so being limited to 36 exposures is really not a concern. I just miss the almost meditative process of using a fully manual film camera, certain film looks can never be replicated digitally IMO, and then there's the anticipation of seeing the photos for the first time. Oh well, call me old fashioned I guess.

RT_Panther

TalkEmount Veteran
I'm just missing some of the look and feel of film, especially for black and white. Or maybe I'm just missing some of the romance working with film provides. Fortunately, I have a local camera shop less than a mile away that still does professional grade processing, so that helps make the decision a little easier!

a) I too like the look & feel of film
b) Yep the romance of working with it is half the fun! (Inserting a roll is much more fun that inserting an SD card) LoL...but seriously for me, the entire process of using film from loading to scanning is what makes it fun for me! :)
c) I'm also blessed with a local film shop that will process B&W, C41, & E6 all for decent prices (Mounted E6 is about 10 bucks & C41 is about 3 bucks - per roll)

lowincash

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Kin
With all the minolta lenses I have, I actually bought a SRT-101 to go with it. I used an expired roll of film, didn't come out too well tho lol After playing around with it for a while, I think I'll stick with digital. I guess with film you have to really plan out your shot so you don't waste film. It's a good learning experience but the camera is not that comfortable to hold and smells really old =/

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
I bought a dirt cheap Nikon F80 about three years ago. There's a finished, unprocessed roll of film still sitting in the camera since then !!
despite all the hubbub going on about how great film was, me who actually lived in the film era when it was the ONLY option, feels it's a major pain in the butt vs digital and have NO desire to go back to that, whatsoever. What I DO like though, is film like results, but there are enough processing programs today that give us reasonably close look, and also I find shooting older lenses favorably impacts the looks of the produced images, towards filmlike.
So in short I like the way of shooting we had with film (direct control over aperture, speed, ISO, very little auto stuff), the look film images had, but I hate no having all the commodities of digital, full time exposure simulation, instant review, etc...

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
I have thought about trying film again, but I really don't see the point (for me). I'm not longing for the frustration of having a lab mess up my films and the tedious scanning coming afterwards. I've given up my darkroom long ago and I don't miss the smell, the darkness, the cleaning up etc.

I had a lot of fun in my darkroom days. Then a long time of frustration was there with film processed by others, especially having colour prints done was just a lottery. Enjoyment came back with my first mirrorless camera (Panny G1): accurate focus, good results, total control. Staying with mirrorless now, no (D)SLR for me anymore!

RT_Panther

TalkEmount Veteran
I bought a dirt cheap Nikon F80 about three years ago. There's a finished, unprocessed roll of film still sitting in the camera since then !!
despite all the hubbub going on about how great film was, me who actually lived in the film era when it was the ONLY option, feels it's a major pain in the butt vs digital and have NO desire to go back to that, whatsoever. What I DO like though, is film like results, but there are enough processing programs today that give us reasonably close look, and also I find shooting older lenses favorably impacts the looks of the produced images, towards filmlike.
So in short I like the way of shooting we had with film (direct control over aperture, speed, ISO, very little auto stuff), the look film images had, but I hate no having all the commodities of digital, full time exposure simulation, instant review, etc...

I lived in the days when film was the only option too....;)

Anyways, a thought has just occurred to me.
We can now manipulate digital images to look like charcoal pencil art or an oil painting. But what's more fun? Creating the image with the pencils & pigments or using a program to create a digital facsimile?

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
I believe that shooting film and shooting digital may produce the same end product (photographs) but slightly differs in it's ethos. The workflow with working with film is certainly different with working with digital, and both types of photography will have it's merits and flaws.

Shooting film can be cumbersome, expensive, and generally troublesome not only with shooting it, but also in processing it, not to mention the inability to instantly review the shots made. Given these shortcomings photography nowadays gives us the option to emulate the look of film because quite simply, a lot of people like the way it looks.

Shooting digital on the otherhand is relatively easier than shooting film, no mess, no need to worry about developing, and being able to instantly review images is such a blessing to be able to re-take missed shots and to be able to adjust settings to the minute detail to out liking. But this in itself presents a flaw in this method of producing images, Olaf Sztaba (who shoots digital) is a particular photographer who's work I really like and he has posted what I think is a valid point regarding shooting digital "Photography has become a form of visual “fast food.” You don’t need to look far to find an avalanche of images" , "The majority of snapshots are taken without much thought and without any artistic or visual effort – just for the sake of taking them. After all, it is so easy to press the button, again and again and again…- Olaf Sztaba"

In retrospect, images aside, what made film photography special is also the same reason that made it difficult, and on the other side of the coin is digital, where it's ease of use can also be it's flaw.

Latest threads

Top Bottom