1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wireless radio flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Lurch, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Lurch

Lurch TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    You're all gonna get sick of me soon....

So - I'm a big fan of off-camera flash. Been using Yongnuo and Cowboy Studio radio triggers for years. Generally connected to whatever flashes I have at the time in manual mode (I come from a Pentax background, so no wireless P-TTL (which is terrible anyway) for me).
    However I've never been a HUGE fan of optically controlled off-camera flashes (eg: on-camera 'commander' flash that controls the rest). Every time I've used it, the on-camera flash messes with the exposure (the exception being the Nikon CLS which worked spectacularly).

I would like to get recommendations on wireless radio triggers that work with Sony. I'm sure PocketWizard probably do, but we all know the price of those things.
    Preferably ones that do TTL (btw, what is Sony's TTL system called?). If I have to stay manual, then I'll just keep using the Cowboy Studio triggers I have currently.
    Taking a quick look at Yongnuo's (horrible) website, it would seem that the flashes and triggers they list as "for Sony" don't actually do TTL.

Cheers,
    Lurch

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, Yongnuo Sony flashes have old Sony hot shoe connector but not ADI. There are very few wireless TTL solutions to Sony cameras available and the price is pretty high. Are Cowboy Studio triggers 433 MHz ones or 2.4 GHz? If not RF-603 II will cost about 20 USD per piece.

3. Lurch

Lurch TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    I *think* they're the old 2.4GHz, but have never really failed me.

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    If they are really 2.4 GHz there are no reason to change. The 433 MHz ones work too but most of these are badly made and therefore unreliable.

5. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Unfortunately if you use Sony cameras, you probably need to be in manual for wireless flash.

Yongnuo make the 560iii + iv speedlites that can be controlled by the 560 TX (the speedlites themselves have a built in receiver). Godox has its 433mHz which is also cheap manual but with power control.

As far as I know the only TTL Sony compatible wireless radio solution for Sony is the Phottix Odin + but this is reasonably expensive although not stupid 'pocketwizard prices'. Nissin have announced they are coming out with a Sony compatible TTL wireless flash solution later this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lurch

Lurch TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    Doing more research it seems a few came on to the market (Pixel King) all designed for the old Minolta hot-shoe, and were instantly made obsolete.
    I'll probably just stick with the old Cowboys and see what Nissin come up with.

EDIT: Found it:
    http://www.nissindigital.com/di700-air.html
    Looks good!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  7. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    The pixel kings are only semi radio wireless from what I understand. They use optical communication between the flash and the receiver.

8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Here is a video that covers a few options

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am also waiting the nissins solutions.. I guess it would be announced soon. The sad truth is that the whole flash system is emount is very poort at the moment.. I would not get to that system if I knew that in advance to be honest
    Alex