1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wired remote for our NEX cameras

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by macsoft, May 6, 2013.

1. macsoft

macsoft TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 26, 2012
    Hey, just wanted to share my latest buy: A wired remote for my NEX 7.
    Finally a way to trigger my nex camera from behind it! :)
    And a practical way to start and stop video on the NEX right from the handle of my video rig.

Their website is: WIRED redNEX - WIRED Remote Control for your NEX camera

Check out the video of it working:
    [video=youtube;Y3RBFKsc-aE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3RBFKsc-aE[/video]

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Eeeek!!! $67 and no "lock" mode??

Third party wired remotes (with the very useful lock mode) are like 5 bucks for DSLRs off eBay...this seems a little steep.

3. macsoft

Feb 26, 2012
    You are limited by the camera. The camera does not allow what you call "lock".
    And there is no wired remotes for the NEX cameras out there.
    67 USD is the price for 2 remotes: one wired, and one wireless.

4. Peter Zapp

Peter Zapp TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 3, 2013
  5. macsoft

Feb 26, 2012
    exacty! they offer the chance for you to do it.
    But its not a light cable. the IR led is on the sender unit.
    You are basically paying the work of someone doing it for you.
    As so many products out there.

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    For this kind of money, I rather wait for a NEX with wired remote port (A58 has one, so there's hope) and give Sony 60 bucks (yep, they charge wayyy too much too) for their remote with a button that locks in place.

7. macsoft

Feb 26, 2012
    If you can wait for another up coming camera to have a wired remote port with lock, then you must include the price of the camera :) 2000 + USD remote is a lot of money for a locking function.
    And there is no telling if the next camera will have that function, so you basically probably do not need a wired remote at all.

8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    The wireless remote they're including is worth what...$5? (That's what a generic IR remote is for these cameras)...no offence, but this is way overpriced! A cool gadget, for sure, but overpriced and not really filling a massive need here...(especially since if you're behind the camera, 99.9% of the time, the delayed shutter release will get the job done just as well).

And $2,000 for a NEX? I think you're overstating things a little.

Are you affiliated with the company that makes these remotes or the seller?

9. macsoft

Feb 26, 2012
    Hello!
    there is no generic IR remotes for the NEX cameras that can trigger VIDEO. this is it. so the wireless one just for that is a good buy.
    Also this is a most needed gadget for me and other film makers, as we can trigger video right from the handle of the video RIG. that is what is been missing on a complete video solution with the NEX.

The next NEX you will be waiting for, the 7N or the NEX 9 what do you predict it will cost? the NEX 7 was 1500 when it came out. the NEX 9 they predict 3000 USD. I think guessing 2000 USD for the NEX 7N is not a big stretch.

Again, is you are waiting for the next camera to come to use a wired remote, you don't really need one now.

Not affiliate, just a return customer. I have one of those remote intervalometers they sell for time-lapse.
    And as an indy film maker, this remote is just what I need to complete my video rig.

But this is just my opinion, i respect your not-neediness of the product :)

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Sure. The Sony RMT-DSLR2 can trigger video. And a while ago somebody posted a super cheap remote that does this too. Sure, if you need to trigger from the handle, this solution might be worth something.

I don't know in which world you live, but going from €1.199 (that's what the body cost when it launched) to €2.000 is a big stretch in my book (USD prices are usually calculated 1:1). And a NEX-9? Apart from that I still think this thing is totally pointless and still don't believe Sony will launch something like this, we cannot predict how much such a thing could cost.

Yeah, I'm quite happy with the wireless Sony remote. And as an Intervalometer, there are either wireless solutions or the app.

Sure, if you need just this, it's great. It's just not a good remote for most of us.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Poki! Quit arguing just to argue. It's unbecoming. Go post some pictures. :biggrin:

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I don't argue just to argue. I just want to give the information missing here - because while this specific tool might be perfect for some, it for sure won't be for most others.

Going out and shoot? Not at this stormy weather. Not without a weather sealed camera. ;)

13. macsoft

Feb 26, 2012
    "Sure, if you need to trigger from the handle, this solution might be worth something."
    You just found out what this product is for :) And that is why I bought it.

I can tighten screws with a cheap spoon. but if I need to assemble a piece of furniture, I will buy a screwdriver. Still all those people who bought a spoon for eating soap will say: "why do you need a screwdriver? there are so many cheap spoons out there!" :)

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Brilliantly said! :D

15. macsoft

Feb 26, 2012
    :) ok not trying to offend any "soap" eaters, I really meant "soup".