1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Windows 7 lost Sony software? Fix / suggestions help?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by hrstrat57, Apr 12, 2014.

1. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    I have been taking pics over 50 years but I still struggle with software. I had however developed a pretty good workflow with the free Sony Picture Motion Browser that came with my A700 .

Forced as many were to retire a fabulous Window XP machine and replace with a new computer with Windows 7. My tech was able to use my 500 drive in the new computer he built for me. Unfortunately I am unable to use the Sony software, it is on my HD but can only view somewhat. Tried a reinstall via my original disk from my latest A700 (2009) and system crashed.

It appears I now am stuck with only Picasa and JPEGS for the time being. I have not yet dabbled in Playmemories home btw.

Suggestions/ help? Is there a place in the Sony universe where I can get some free software with limited RAW capability? I was more than happy with the Sony software. Should I bite the bullet and go for lightroom 5 or the like? ( I use Aperture 3 on my macbook)

Yes, I have no idea what I am talking about :(

Help? Suggestions?

2. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
  3. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I re-read your OP more carefully. You may have a couple of issues to deal with.

First you are going to need to get an old version of PMB installed, then you can update it to 5.8.02.

If the system crashed DURING installation (rather than when trying to run after a successful installation), try these the following things to get the old version installed:

1) Whatever you click to start the installation program (SETUP.EXE or similar on your CD), run by right-clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator".

2) If that doesn't work, try installing as if you don't have the CD by using the "Picture Motion Browser Download Tool" on the Sony download page referenced in my previous post.

3) Lastly, if neither of those methods work, try running the SETUP program in Windows Compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 (right click on the SETUP program, click properties, click the Compatibility tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose XP SP3, check "run as administrator", click apply and then run the SETUP program

Once you have (hopefully) gotten this earlier version of PMB installed, perform the update procedure as per the same Sony page.

At this point you should have PMB running as a full-fledged Windows 7 program, but if you are still having issues running the PMB, try step 3 above on the executable for the actual PMB program (not just setup/install program).

Good Luck ... let us know if you get 'er running.