Wind noise!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Oct 26, 2014.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Admittedly, I'm just not a video guy. Never cared for it, especially shooting it myself. But, sometimes there is a requirement. My wife is a cheer coach and wanted videos of her girls during a game. A6000... piece of cake, right? Really good quality video for my needs, but the wind noise on a MILDLY windy day was horrendous! almost un-usable with the audio on during replay.

What's the fix? I know and external with a wind sock will help, but what's a good one for a reasonable price? Sony's?

Thanks!

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Maybe tape a piece of open cell foam over the internal mic?

3. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Crossed my mind, but the area is really thin and narrow above the lens mount. Maybe two little discs or squares...

4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    FWIW, if an external mic is an option, I went with the RODE VIDEOMIC PRO for wildlife photography...(deer, turkey, birds, etc)...and got a Dead Cat Windscreen Muff for it...excellent audio / no noise.
    Or if external is not an option, then maybe you could fashion something similar to your built-in...

5. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I think external is the ONLY solution, so thanks! This is good stuff!

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I think it really is...the good ones are a little pricey but a video is nothing without audio, and good audio at that.

7. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    There should be an option for wind noise reduction in the settings menu, but since I don't do videos I don't know how effective it would be by turning on that option.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    1- An external MIC is required for any serious recording.

2- Make sure you enabled the wind reduction setting, (or whatever it is called).

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just a side note, my understanding is that if an external mic is plugged in, the onboard camera mic is disabled and onboard camera settings are of no effect....External 'Shotgun' MICs have their own controls built-in...gain, noise reduction, etc.

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Here's an example...Rode VideoMic Pro on NEX-7.
    These deer came out into a little 2 acre field while I was turkey hunting back in the spring.
    Small field has a country road running past the end about 150yds away which the deer kept watching...somebody probably walking, etc...and they finally got too nervous and left.
    Also, a dog can be heard barking off in the distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Oiua9B-OI

11. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    It was useless.

12. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    WOW!! Those turkeys are still...

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    lol...

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I kept waiting for the turkey's to move, but then I read that you were turkey hunting and realized what they were.

15. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Sony makes a shotgun-style mono mic with the multi-interface shoe. Amazon has it for $99. I think I'll try that so it will work on all my Sonys.

16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sounds good...I don't have multiple different camera bodies so I went with the Rode...cable plugs into a socket on the left side of the NEX-7.

Couple photos of my external mic…simply mounted, then inside a camo blind looking out:

• Like Like x 1