• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Will You Keep your NEX 5 once the new 5N and NEX 7 are out?

SilatShooter

New to TalkEmount
I honestly love my little NEX 5. It truly produces nice images and love being able to use a host of legacy glass on it. The two new camera appear to be very nice. I thought for sure I'd be able to resist, but really like having the viewfinder available, especially for portraits and bright sun. I'm certain I'll be picking up one of these new bodies, and not sure how much use I'll get out of NEX 5 once I have the new camera. Wondering if I'll keep, or look to sell it.

Anyone else having these thoughts, if so what do you think?

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Hmmm.....good question, haven't really thought about it until now. I guess I'll keep mine as a back up, or mount a wide angle on it and use it as a secondary camera so that I wont have to keep changing lenses all the time.
I dont think I'll get a good price in selling it with newer models like the C3, 5N, and the 7 out in the market.

olli

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
olli
I have the NEX-5 and will be keeping it. I see nothing in the upgrade models to justify the expense of changing. If I had $600-700 to spare I would be buying the 50 and the 55-210 for my existing camera.

Penny

TalkEmount Regular
I doubt that I will sell my NEX 5 I just love it...am doubtful whether I personally would buy the '7' because it is a bit larger than the '5' but for some who have bigger hands that wouldn't be a problem.
As to the '5N' or C3 don't see the point of me spending money on either of them, I don't do enough photography to warrant the expense at the present time.

teshi

TalkEmount Rookie
In short after spending the past couple of days with both, no. The NEX-5 feels insanely dated (sorry to say even though I had mine since launch and love it) After spending even just a few minutes with the 5n, there is a massive improvement. The touch screen which can be coupled with tracking focus locks and HOLDS what you want in focus with accurate precision and is really hard to overlook. Massive benefit in my opinion.

As for the focusing, even faster so I am really looking forward to trying it with the new lenses. Plus the new EVF which is amazing for use with the 5n is the same as NEX-7 but is an extra option is great. Really enjoyed using the EVF which is sadly not compatible.

Now the 7....leaps and bounds in the right direction. The new control system is tricky at first but after a while, much more direct and quicker to change modes/settings etc.

So my verdict, even if I cannot save or afford the NEX-7, the NEX-5n would be on the cards from me without a doubt.

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
I'm planning to keep my NEX-3 even after I get the NEX-7 ... unless I happen to win the NEX-5N contest on this site. ;)

Even though the NEX-7 will be my main camera (assuming it performs as promised) I like having a backup camera body that uses the same lens mount ... and that is what the NEX-3 will be good for.

neodraig

TalkEmount Rookie
People where so impressed by the results I get from my little NEX-5 and my Nokton 35mm 1.4 that I have already 3 potential buyers for my camera.
I ordered the NEX-5N today (body only), so yes I'll sell my NEX-5 as soon as I get my new camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom