1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Will the upcoming Sony 70-200mm work at f/4?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Bill, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The workhorse 70-200mm lenses for Canon and Nikon (for example) are f/2.8s. Can Sony expect the new lens to fill that space at f/4?

(It would probably work for me, but I don't do weddings.)

2. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    I mentioned those exact same thoughts the other day at SeriousCompacts.com. Gordon (aka Flash) does a lot of weddings, and he said he actually uses f4 telephotos. He has the A7, and will be purchasing both the 24-70 and the 70-200.

I do wish these lenses were f2.8, to make them more compelling. But then the lenses would get slightly longer and wider, and definitely heavier.

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Sony has those f2.8 lenses for FF and they are big. Also Canon has f4 zoom lenses and they are similar size to Sony EF sizes. So we don't have much saving due to mirrorless designs esp on the tele side. Latest lenses are getting bigger and bigger due to performance on high MP sensors. Look at even Fuji/Oly f2.8 zooms, not very small. I still have my smallish Sigma 24-60mm f2.8 FF zoom which is similar size to Sony 24-70 f4 zoom, but it has no OSS. Hopefully size comes with performance.

4. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Yes, full frame mirrorless lenses are more or less the same size as their DSLR lens counterparts. Bummer.

5. asimkalkan

asimkalkan TalkEmount Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Actually bigger... :/ "SEL 55 1.8"

GT-I9300 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

6. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Still lighter than many, and really about the same size if you consider an adapter. They're a little long. Not heavy or particularly large.

7. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Depends. I mix a bag of primes with the absolute necessity of having to carry zooms. So f4 zooms with a selection of fast primes works for me. Some dedicated zoom shooters need 2.8.

Some will just boot up the ISO a stop. Isn't that why the new Nikon has ISO 204000?

Landscape photographers would be better off with great f4 lens than a larger, heavier 2.8.

Personally I'm getting the 70-200 because I like the colour.

Gordon

8. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    The Sony 55 f1.8 is a significantly better lens than any other autofocus 50mm 1.8 made. Better lenses tend to be a bit bigger. But it's still very light.

Gordon

9. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    The color of the lens (white) or the rendering of the color from the lens? :)

10. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012

I think white will make me look more professional.... :D

Gordon

• Like Like x 4
  11. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Leaving pro wedding photographers needs aside I am considering the FE 70-200 for my airshow interests. Yesterday we went to the RAAF Point Cook Centenary event. I had my NEX 6 / 55-210 and A7 / FE 28-70. I also took a Rokkor 200mm f4 and monopod. All that could fit in my slim satchel type camera bag and is not very heavy. I like to take photos of aircraft on the ground, during take off and landing as well as in the air. However, we also just want to enjoy the flying displays and wander around the ground exhibits. You see some truly massive lenses at airshows and no doubt they can get some great shots but that's just not for me. I am not having a go at such enthusiasts by the way, it is just not my preference.

I found I used the A7 / FE 28-70 most of the time. The FE 28-70 gave me better results cropped than the 55-210. I tried the manual focus 200mm on the monopod and with practice that could possibly be workable but a monopod is not all that convenient or easy to use in a crowded place.

So, if the FE 28-70 kit lens was good for me I am thinking the FE 70-200 with OSS might be a good choice. The dimensions and weight of it would be at the upper end of what I would consider acceptable. At that price I will try to get to handle it before making a purchase as it will be the most expensive lens I will have ever purchased. Some kit will have to go in order to fund it.

12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I don't know how the new(ish) and very expensive f/2.8 MkII version compares, but the f/4 IS was the pick of the four Canon 70-200mm lenses. The extra stop in the f/2.8s lenses seriously compromised their portability, and I didn't think they were as sharp as either of the two (IS and non-IS) f/4 lenses.

13. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    The current 2.8IS II is the best of the Canons (I can directly compare them as my shooting partner uses one and I had the f4L IS) now. It would be nice if the new Sony is close. But I would prefer it has the "look" of it's 24-70 sibling if it's a choice of that or sharpness (prepared to grudgingly accept both :)). I can compare the FE24-70 f4OSS directly with the current Canon 24-70 f2.8LIS II (shooting partner). The Canon is somewhat sharper in the corners wide open but the Zeiss has better micro contrast and a better 3D look to it overall.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mirrorless

Mirrorless TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 11, 2012
    Ambrose
    are there an samples of the FE 70-200G floating on the www somewhere?

15. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Not yet, apart from testing samples. April/May apparently.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  16. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I can only hope Sony Australia are quick off the mark as I would have liked to take one to New Zealand for the Warbirds over Wanaka airshow being held over Easter. However I have better work on a back up plan!

18. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    I'm thinking about renting a Tamron 70-200/2.8 and using it on the A7 w/ the LAEA4 adapter -- assuming that it actually works with the Tamron lenses.

19. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    It should, since Tamron produces lenses for Sony both A mount and nex E mount. They release them w/ both brand names eg 28-75mm f2.8 A lens, 18-200 E lens, etc. Also Sony has 11% shares of Tamron per Wikipedia. Only problem w/ Tamron is they don't have VC (vibr ctrl) on the Sony mount in comparison to Canikon mounts. Sigma has some OS (opt stab) lenses for Sony.

20. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Yeah, and yet, Tamrom charges the same for the lenses even though the VC has been removed. Cheese!

I did read that the Tamrom 70-200 is much better than the Sigma.