Will Sony be updating their lenses soon?

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Howdy,

I was wondering, do you think Sony will be updating some of their older lenses anytime soon? The 70-200 f/4 is a fairly old lens and it'd be great to see an updated mk2 version. Same goes for the Zeiss 24-70 f/4. I must say I was very impressed by the sharpness delivered by Nikon's 24-70 f/4 for the Z series. Wish we had a nice light-weight lens like that (with great optical performance) for the E-mount system (yes, I know there's the 28-75 Tamron, but that's a different focal range).

Cheers

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
My guess would be that that's not going to happen anytime soon. For both lenses there are GM f/2.8 alternatives, so Sony effectively shut up the people who were complaining that Sony had no fast and excellent lenses. Moreover, the G 4/24-105 is another very good alternative to the 4/24-70. I happen to have both lenses you mention and I'm not going to replace them; if my 4/24-70 would break down beyond repair, I'd most probably go for the 4/24-105mm. In case of the 4/70-200, I'd rebuy a good used sample or maybe the 70-300mm or maybe nothing at all until I'd start to feel the need for a telezoom again.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
It is exciting and somewhat confusing at the speed that new cameras and lenses are appearing for the Sony e-mount mirrorless system. I for one, am not going to buy any new gear for a while. Conversely, I am culling all the gear that I either do not like or that I don't use and hopefully keeping the profits from the sale of such gear stashed away until I find something that, "I can't live without!"
I have, in the past, been reluctant to sell my unused or seldom used gear and consequently have amassed a veritable museum of camera gear.
I still have a collection of two different types of cameras (Canon DSLR and Sony mirrorless APSC) which I use. But, I found out how easy it is to sell things on eBay and have been disposing of excess gear that way. It is really easier to use eBay for selling items now, than it was ten or so years ago.
I really wish that I could completely make the jump from Canon to Sony but, I am still very fond of some Canon cameras and lenses.
I have even culled out some of the Sony gear that I wasn't especially fond of; such as the Sony 16mm f/2.8 lens and the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 lens. I didn't like the image quality of the Sony or the AF capability of the Sigma.
What I really need is a mid-range e-mount zoom with a decently fast aperture such as f/2.8:coco: But, which one is a problem. Presently, I have been shooting mostly primes on two Sony APSC cameras. There is, IMO, a dearth of high quality e-mount zoom lenses whose size matches the form factor of my APSC gear. I have a 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS lens which I use for family events and only occasionally will use on a serious shoot (and which disappoints me generally when I use it) The IQ of that lens is adequate to say the most. But, the size and weight is great.
An ideal combination of lenses, IMO, for general use would be the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron plus the 70-200mm f/4 G on a full frame body. But, since I am shooting with Sony APSC gear, these lenses are a bit large
Sony 70-200mm f-4 G OSS modified 01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and the wide side of the Tamron lens is not quite wide enough for general use on my APSC gear.
What I am hoping for is an e-mount equivalent of my APSC Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. I have carried two Canon APSC cameras with only the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and the 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses all over the world and never felt the lack of a wider, faster or longer piece of glass...
The conundrum for me is that I basically switched to Sony mirrorless for two reasons: Eye-AF and size. While, I would still have Eye-AF if I went to Sony full frame, the weight of my gear would increase.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom