Will I be happy with a 28-70 kit lens?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Found a local ad for a 28-70 FE lens for sale for a good reason, which I'm thinking of moving on.
Do you who have used this lens think it'd be a good one to get given I'm looking for something to shoot the grandkids with when they are around. So far I only have experience with the 2/28FE lens as far as native lenses go. This would be used on my A7ii.
Do you think I'll run into a problem with the performance of the camera when using higher ISO if required for shooting indoors?
I read reviews that say it's a must have for all around goodness but nothing spectacular. I guess you could say it sounds like a Honda. Very good at a lot of things but not a standout in any one thing.
True?
If so, what's a decent price on one, in your opinion?

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I had the FE 28-70 for a while. As far as kit lenses go, it's not bad. I think it should do fine for family photos, as long you don't go overboard with the low light. Although investing in a flash may be a good idea.

Price? Eh....$250? A lot of people get it as a kit lens with the A7ii, and sell to subsidize another lens.

I sold this along with my A7ii to buy my A7RII.

Christop82

TalkEmount Regular
I wouldn't pay over $175-200 for one. Not because it isn't worth it, it is. I think it's very good for a kit lens. Above average. I do wish it was a little faster on the long end.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Found one for $100 so I'm happy. Looks like new, only missing a box but since it was a kit lens there wasn't one. I don't keep my lenses in boxes anyways. Now to get a UV filter for it and I'm set.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I like mine for pictures at family gatherings like this picture of my Daughter and her dogs. The lens is plenty sharp enough for that type of use and I most always bounce a flash so the slower aperture doesn't impact me...

However I only paid $125 for a minty used copy. I am happy with the value.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I had the 28-70mm FE for quite a while and got very nice results. There are better lenses but for the price, it is a solid start.

My biggest problem was that as a starting point, 28mm was often just too close

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
I never bonded with that lens, so I sold it. Never quite liked it, but for $100 its a bargain worth having! Nothing more than that though

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom