1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Will I be happy with a 28-70 kit lens?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AlwaysOnAuto, Feb 10, 2019.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Found a local ad for a 28-70 FE lens for sale for a good reason, which I'm thinking of moving on.
    Do you who have used this lens think it'd be a good one to get given I'm looking for something to shoot the grandkids with when they are around. So far I only have experience with the 2/28FE lens as far as native lenses go. This would be used on my A7ii.
    Do you think I'll run into a problem with the performance of the camera when using higher ISO if required for shooting indoors?
    I read reviews that say it's a must have for all around goodness but nothing spectacular. I guess you could say it sounds like a Honda. Very good at a lot of things but not a standout in any one thing.
    True?
    If so, what's a decent price on one, in your opinion?

2. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I had the FE 28-70 for a while. As far as kit lenses go, it's not bad. I think it should do fine for family photos, as long you don't go overboard with the low light. Although investing in a flash may be a good idea.

Price? Eh....$250? A lot of people get it as a kit lens with the A7ii, and sell to subsidize another lens.

I sold this along with my A7ii to buy my A7RII.

3. Christop82

Christop82 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    I wouldn't pay over $175-200 for one. Not because it isn't worth it, it is. I think it's very good for a kit lens. Above average. I do wish it was a little faster on the long end.

4. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Found one for $100 so I'm happy. Looks like new, only missing a box but since it was a kit lens there wasn't one. I don't keep my lenses in boxes anyways. Now to get a UV filter for it and I'm set.

• Like Like x 2
  5. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    DSC05285.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Christop82

Christop82 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    Definitely worth $100.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount All-Pro

Happiness can be a fickle thing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Richard Crowe

Richard Crowe TalkEmount Regular

Sep 14, 2018
    I like mine for pictures at family gatherings like this picture of my Daughter and her dogs. The lens is plenty sharp enough for that type of use and I most always bounce a flash so the slower aperture doesn't impact me...
    HALLOWEEN 2018 - 20181031_7578.jpg

However I only paid $125 for a minty used copy. I am happy with the value.

• Like Like x 4
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I had the 28-70mm FE for quite a while and got very nice results. There are better lenses but for the price, it is a solid start.

My biggest problem was that as a starting point, 28mm was often just too close

_DSC5086.jpg

_DSC6647.jpg

_DSC8411.jpg

_DSC1391.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I never bonded with that lens, so I sold it. Never quite liked it, but for $100 its a bargain worth having! Nothing more than that though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.