Will A9 or A7 III Eye AF choose an eye within the frame if you haven't selected a face manually?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying an A9 or A7 III because of the impressive Eye AF demos on YouTube. My question is, do you have to manually choose a face with the joystick when starting Eye AF, or will Eye AF automatically pick an eye within the frame if you haven't selected one manually?

Thanks,
    Amin

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    It automatically picks a face. You don't have to let it be random though, you can store a few of your favorite faces to memory, and it will prioritize those faces when picking a face/eye in a group photo.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Alright, Amin... ready to join us on the Sony full-frame bus! While I have some other gear, I have finally settled on running Sony A-series along with micro four thirds. I think the two systems complement each other nicely, depending on the task at hand.

4. dburanich

dburanich TalkEmount Rookie

May 19, 2018
    Southern Cal
    Just curious.
    When you save a favorite face in to memory is there a limit you can enter without significantly slowing down the focus and write speed?

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Ha, I keep getting on and off the bus. I really like the simplicity of shooting just one system, so if I get on the Sony bus, it probably means a full switch, at least for a while.

6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I have no idea! I only have four faces stored though. I don't see why it would affect focus speed since identifying a face would be a pre-AF task. At worst it would just fail to recognize the face or not recognize it fast enough? I also don't think it would affect write speeds either. I have a UHS-2 card for raw shooting and can't see how that would conceivably affect the write speed.
    Tamron's and Sony's new fixed aperture zooms can easily replace a bag of MFT primes. Just sayin' :p 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I just like working with primes, plus I am unreasonable about bokeh :drama:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bokeh is something that is important to me, too.

So you're thinking about the A7 III also, Amin? I just looked today and none of the local stores has it in stock, nor any of the lenses. I daresay this suggests that this camera body and the lenses used in the FE system are pretty popular!

9. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Eye AF is great with the A7III and it works with adapted glass as well. I have one of my custom buttons setup to activate eye AF when I need it. It's better than having face priority as well, because it seems Eye AF is more accurate.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Yes, strongly considering! The A7 III seems to be the most popular Sony body in a long while now. Ticks a lot of boxes!

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Jonathan, did you consider A7R III at all? Do you know if Eye AF is great with the R model as well?

12. Yep, ticks a lot of boxes for me, too! :)  The price tag is pretty reasonable, too, for that body..... The lenses I would like -- well, that's another story! Bank account won't be happy if I do take the plunge.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. dburanich

dburanich TalkEmount Rookie

May 19, 2018
    Southern Cal
    I think the A7 III is a better value than the A9.
    They are both 24 MP.
    The A9 does 20 FPS vs 10 on the A7 III.
    ISO on the A9 is 25,600 vs. 204,800.
    The A9 comes with an external charger.
    Is it worth over $2k more?
    I couldn't justify it for my needs.

14. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I don't really need high res with the way I shoot (heavy volume) so I didn't consider the A7RIII, but the Eye AF on the A7III is very responsive. I couldn't imagine the A7RIII being any better. Plus if you don't like the eye it chooses, you can just recompose and attempt to capture the other eyeball which I rarely do.

15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    No mention of Face Registration yet? I believe (not entirely sure) but I think if you have faces registered (family members, friends etc) when taking a large group portrait it will prioritize registered faces over non when Eye AF stars... please correct me if i'm wrong oh great gods of the webs

16. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    more from that 135 please please please

• Like Like x 1
  17. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    The eye-AF (all-round AF in fact) is much, much, much better in the A7r than it is on my Oky E-M1. As in I finally have a camera where my default choice for people photos is AF-C with eye-AF.

The A7III gas better AF point coverage and may well be faster, but for me as a non-sports shooter it works fantastically. And the resolution is awesome to have.

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    You're talking about A7R III and E-M1 (first version), correct?

I had the A7R II and found the overall AF to be less satisfying than that of the E-M1 II. That said, I never tried the Eye AF in AF-C on the A7R II when I had it. I just used face detection and S-AF.

19. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I'm having the same quandary.... A7III or A7RIII. I tried out the III and the eye focus was pretty good although it seemed to always get the eye furthest away for some reason! I don't need the whole screen covered in focus points but I do like to be able to crop out naff bits that inevitably get into baby shots..... bags, cups, toys, wipes etc. etc.! Also I'm thinking that if I already have the 24mm M10/M240 then the higher res makes more sense in an auto focus body. I want it primarily for kid shots but would also use it for landscapes/travel photography. It seems to me that knowing how well the eye focus works on the A7RIII compared to the A7RII and the 7III would be the deciding criteria for me.... input welcome!

20. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I think I just talked myself into the A7RIII :confused: 

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.