Will A7R ever compare to A6000's AF and and focus points?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Stefan, May 30, 2014.

1. Stefan

Stefan TalkEmount Rookie

May 20, 2014
    I don't know anyone who has compared these each of these in this particular test AFTER the latest A7R firmware upgrade.

The main reason I haven't bought either camera, is because the A7R doesn't have the number of focus points and fastest auto focus.

I mean, I was literally shaking the A6000 as if I was on a river raft, and it was still taking pictures in focus!!!
    Will the A7R ever have this certainty? Did the A7 or A7S have this?

I've been dying to figure it out, ya know what I need, what's available, and what's affordable.
    Thought I might get a Nikon D90 and then save for what I really want.
    Then I saw a 70D, D7100, Panasonic GH3 AHHHHH!!!!

Then I find myself coming back to Sony... which is the least affordable as my entry level DSLR- ish camera.

You'd think with a price tag that the A7R has, it'd have the capabilities of the A6000.
    Maybe I should just wait for the next 7 series?

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    A7R does not have phase focus points so will never match the A6000 AF performance as it lacks the hardware - no firmware can fix it!

If you want full frame and fast AF wait for next year when I suspect an A9 or whatever they will call it will appear with a FF sensor with PDAF as fast as the A6000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. alainib

alainib TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    montpellier france
    alain
    i think that only the a7 got phase detection ( 117 Phase Detectio AF points)

4. MikeyIdaho

MikeyIdaho TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Actually the A7 does have 117 phase detect points, similar hybrid AF to the A6000 with less focus points. A7R only has contrast focus points for whatever reason. Making the A7 seem to be a much better value in my eyes. Personally I love my A6000, especially the crazy good auto focus. Oh and as a product of the nex line it's been refined over the years. A7 line is still first generation essentially.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Sorry, edited mine, as you say A7 has PDAF. But it's still crap compared to the A6000 speed reading the reviews - my guess is it's using Nex6 tech level focus abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stefan

Stefan TalkEmount Rookie

May 20, 2014
    Well if you suggest waiting , I may just do that, but I also forgot about the Sony RX1 R. Be that it's a point and shoot, does it come close to the A6000s's AF?

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Well according to Sony, the RX1/RX1R both get 2.5fps with continuous focus, vs the 11fps of the A6000. So It seems about 4 times slower if you take that as the base line.
    In real world use I have no idea, it depends of course on what you shoot and if hyper fast AF is really a priority?