1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wildlife photos: How to take the best shots (BBC article and video)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by applemint, Feb 14, 2013.

1. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honestly I think good wildlife photography for amateurs is a simple function of time x framespersecond :p Most of the time wild animals aren't really doing anything (perhaps staring at you). You just need a ton of patience and to be there long enough for them to ignore you. Unfortunately most tours don't have this luxury because they overpack itineraries and spend too little time in any one place.

3. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Yes, gear aside, patience seems to be the number one requirement and I am pretty sure I don't have enough of it. :)

I am not a big fan of zoos but they do offer an alternative to shooting (photographically speaking!) animals in the wild, so from a photographic perspective I enjoy them. I guess wildlife photographers might call it cheating or not 'proper' wildlife photography, but it's certainly an easier option.

In any case the wild animals here in Scotland are less exotic than in other countries - no wolves or bears or big cats, only hedgehogs, squirrels, sea eagles (stunning but rare and hard to find), puffins (very entertaining birds), deer (easy to find, hard to get close to), otters (also quite hard to find), stoats and the like as well as dolphins, porpoises, whales, basking sharks etc and lots of seals.

4. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Lovely video thanks for sharing :)