1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

WIFI remote control needed

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by TOGAR, Jul 21, 2013.

1. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I was reading the reviews of the wonderful remote control via WIFI and a small device for Canon or Nikon.
    This is exactly the type of control that I require for wildlife photography and I believe could be developed by Sony for their WIFI equipped models. Why not Sony?

CamRanger | Wireless DSLR Remote Control Tether for iPad

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Which features exactly do you need? Because the most basic thing (pressing the shutter via WiFi) can be done with Sony's app for that.

3. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I have 3 remotes to press the shutter for an image, including "Smart Remote" via iPod touch. If you follow the links to the CamRanger, the features provided by this unit are exactly when I want (need) If a 2-person team can design, build and market such an item for Cano and Nikon, why can Sony not produce similar features for their apps to a camera that already has WIFI?

4. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I guess my desires for remote control features are not shared by other folks. The two reasons I switched from Canon FF and "L" glass were size/weight and the potential features of WIFI for the NEX6. It appears that many comments are correct - mirror less cameras are essentially for upgraders from P&S cameras and photographers who want a second body or compact camera. I believe my change from Canon was a serious mistake that I will probably rectify soon.

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You really think the NEX system only is for P&S upgraders and for people who want a second camera? I think I don't need to mention that Trey Ratcliff recently switched from a D800E to a NEX-7 as his main camera, among many other reasons why NEX cameras are better than SLRs for many applications. Wildlife obviously isn't one of them - there simply aren't any super tele lenses for the system right now. And yeah, Sony messed up the WiFi, but so what, most people don't need more than the Sony wireless remote can do. It's unfortunate if the few disadvantages of the system are enough to bring you to switch the system again, but honestly, just use what fits your shooting the best. There's no system that's good for everyone.

6. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I did not mean that I personally think the NEX system is only for P&S upgrades; I merely was stating what I have read in many posts in many Sony web sites. I also wish to state that my personal requirements are for multi-featured remote control. This is not for everyone, but I must govern my actions by what I alone require. Not trying to influence anyone else. The potential of WIFI control of the camera is a major reason for switching systems, so I am disappointed with lack of advancements on this front.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Don't forget it's just three years since the first NEX camera launched. When did the first Canon SLR launch? Give Sony a little bit more time.

8. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    You are probably right. Right now the camera and 55-210 lens is with Sony to fix the focusing problem (2" behind the subject). I kept wondering why my bird photos with that lens were all "soft". The OM300mm with manual focus is much sharper, although more difficult to use in a hurry.

9. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    there's bound to be the odd rogue lens /camera, I've had no trouble with any of my nex 3 then 5n now 6 and the same with the lenses, it's unfortunate that you have had problems but overall I would guess that the majority are satisfied.
    You always hear the bad things about companies and services, very rarely does anybody sing their praises,but when something goes wrong, then it's all hands on the internet, and rightly so, but people really need to judge things in perspective.
    good luck with the lens

10. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    I am new to Nex, and I have questions around the WIFI capability. I figured out how to download pictures to my PC via WIFI; can also control the camera from the PC via WIFI?

11. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    If I had not seen the features I desire on a 3rd party remote for the Canikon systems, I would feel no frustration at all. Because I have seen what is possible right now, I naturally feel frustrated that they are not available on my chosen system. There were many reasons that I chose the Sony NEX (6) system not the least being the IQ possible. I believe that this system could become much more than it is. I am getting old and impatient.