1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

WiFi is no longer just a gimmick

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by WoodWorks, Sep 26, 2013.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sony just released an updated Smart Remote Control for its WiFi-enabled NEX cameras (5R, 5T & 6) today, and it's overcome many of the shortcomings that made the previous version a fairly useless app.

From Sony's web site:

Ver. 2.00 (Sep. 26, 2013)
    Added the following setting capabilities and made the app more useful for macro and portrait shooting.
    •Added touch AF capability from smartphones and tablets for more intuitive operation.
    •Able to change values for EV compensation as well as for the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and white balance. Perfect for people who are particular about their shots.
    •Supports MF Assist,*1 a useful function when focusing manually. The larger monitor on a tablet or smartphone makes it easier to fine-tune the focus than on the camera’s monitor, which is a great help for macro and portrait shots.
    • You can check the focus of your shot immediately on your smartphone or tablet by magnifying the recorded image.

*1. This function provides two-level magnification of part of the frame for detailed focusing on the monitor screen. When in Manual Focus mode, the display switches between magnification levels as the focus ring is turned.

The biggest news for us NEX-6 users is the addition of touch focus. But the fact that we can now shoot raw images triggered from a phone or tablet is plenty awesome too. And being able to touch focus and then fine tune it manually on a screen the size of an iPad is an experience altogether new for me. The ability to change EV, ISO, WB and aperture is just icing on the cake.

Suddenly WiFi has gone from nice-to-have to a must-have feature. And now that Sony has opened up its API to outside developers makes me think that we'll soon be seeing many innovative uses for WiFi-connected devices. But this first (overdue) step is a pretty big one, I think.

• Like Like x 9
  2. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Yep the new update is really outstanding. I am very optimistic about the future of apps now. Another reason for me to go from Note 2 to a Sony Xperia and its 6.4" screen instead of the let down Note 3 with a .2" increase in size :/

3. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Wow, had been waiting for this for quite some time. Finally I have a legit reason to update my firmware :)

Oh wait, this is just an update to the android app. Wasn't there a firmware update scheduled too? something that would allow us to use the apps created using the newly released developer APIs

4. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    sounds great,has this been released in the UK yet, if so , how do we go about downloading this bad boy ?,
    thanks

5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks for the heads-up, this actually looks useable now. Hopefully in some forthcoming release you can select the focus point for a legacy lens by touch and also activate magnification, you now have to do this on the camera.

7. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Does this have any practical use (or meaning) to people who just wantto take photographs with their cameras?

• Like Like x 1
  8. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    well it is another way of doing things and that is what photography is all about, it seems practical and meaningful enough to me, but then again, I,ve only been taking pictures for around 50 years and have embraced all the changes over that time.
    basically, if you only want to take photos then a box brownie would suffice I suppose

• Like Like x 2
  9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Maybe for me it has. Taking vertical shots of mushrooms near the ground with the NEX-6 is not nice, being able to use a smartphone to frame and focus may be a lot more comfortable. Then again, a fully articulating display like on my previously owned Panasonic GH2 is even better.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    thanks WW I'll have a look for that, I am genuinely enthusiastic about this, I love technology

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    As long as it serves my purposes, I'm all for it. Now, Facebook... :rolleyes:

12. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    gio......I have been taking photographs for longer than you have...Strangely enough I DO "only want to take photographs" and I DID start with a box brownie which worked better than some more modern cameras I have used along the way........

......"practical & meaninful"......??

13. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    OK, I'll bite, Bugleone. Is it impractical to want to be able to check focus on a screen much larger than the one on the back of the camera? Is it impractical to want touch focus on a camera that doesn't come with that feature, such as the NEX-6? Is it impractical to want to take a steady shot on a tripod without having to bump the camera by manually clicking the shutter or to wait for a 2- or 10-second timer to go off?

Necessary for good photography? Obviously not. But practical and meaningful if those features are desirable to a photographer? Certainly! Just because you have no desire to use it doesn't mean it's not useful for others. If you don't want it, just don't install it. Life is good!

• Like Like x 1
  14. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I was stating the fact that modern day photography is a wonderful ongoing evolution, go with the flow and enjoy the ride, I'm sure your camera has lots of gizmos on it that you don't use, but cameras are made for mass consumerism, if they were only made for one person then there would only be one type of camera, fortunately I have not had the problems that you have had with some modern cameras in comparison to box brownies.
    my point was, if you only want to take pictures, then why opt for such a technological wonder as the nex system

15. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    downloaded and started playing around with it, viewing on the note 2 screen is excellent and also the touch focus , in fact I'm impressed by it all, let's hope this is just the beginning of a magical ride of integration

thanks for the heads up

16. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I tried to download but it's saying my firmware needs update? Nex 6 has a software update?

Confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think the NEX-6 has already had a couple of firmware updates. Mine's on version 1.02.

18. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Ah, I'm 1.01
    ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    got the same message myself and painlessly updated mines to 1.02 last night,
    it's like waiting outside an operating theatre for news of the patient, I hate going through that simple procedure,
    but it's all downloaded now, I think it is a brilliant and practical upgrade, wish it zoomed the lenses too, I suppose this will come, as hopefully this may be the start of an app revolution

20. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk