1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

wideangle?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Janne303, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Janne303

Janne303 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Janne Eriksson
    Is there any good wideangles around 16mm out there or is the Sigma 19mm 2.8 (buy used) the best option?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The Sony 16mm 2.8 is quite okay (better than many reviews suggest), but far from perfect, especially considering the corner sharpness wide open. The Sigma 19 is quite good, as is the Sony 10-18mm f/4, and the Zeiss 12mm 2.8 should be the best of the crop considering price and Zeiss' knowledge with building exceptionally good wide angle lenses.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Assuming you only consider AF lenses Poki is spot on. Going with a MF lens gives you a few more options. :)

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    There's the 16-50mm zoom too.

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    With wide anles autofocus isn't needed as much as with normal/tele lenses. Look about Samyang 14 mm, pretty good lens and quite cheap.

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you want to use mostly the wide end, forget about it. Pretty much the worst wide angle performance anywhere.

+1 - If you don't need AF (and it's really not that important at this focal lengths) the Samyang is a brilliant lens! I used it for video work a while back (the photo, not the cinema version) and it did a good job.

The reason I go with AF is because it's cheaper for me. A small 12mm f/2.8 lens with good quality for €1000? I don't know of many lenses that can match this. Sure, the Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 looks promising, but unfortunately I don't have that much money in the bank ... But that's just my specific needs in extreme corner sharpness wide open and no vignetting.

7. Janne303

Janne303 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Janne Eriksson
    but samyang 14mm is so big :(

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, that's why I don't use it for photography. But we have listed some quite nice options here. Problem is, when it comes to wide angle lenses, there aren't so many good choices - especially legacy options are rare. Your budget seems to be limited (considering you want to buy the Sigma 19 used), so I'd either go with this lens or the Sony 16mm (only if you can get one cheap!) - in this case you could even use the wide angle converter to get a 12mm lens. The pricier options are obviously a bit better (and wider), but as for budget ones, these are about your only options.

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Maybe you just had a bad copy, or something else colored your opinion, Poki. But my 16-50 outperformed the 16 I briefly compared it to in the corners, center, and everywhere else I could see. Of course, the 16mm I compared it to could have been a bad copy too. :p But its the only AF lens that I've kept (so far--though I'm lusting after the 10-18), and that includes the Sigma 30, which gets almost universal acclaim. So the OP may be well served by at least giving the lens a try. I know that I'm very happy to have ignored the general "meh" reputation that this lens has, unfairly IMO, received among some of the photocenti.

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, sample variation is a big problem with cheaper E-mount lenses, unfortunately ... But the distortion is pretty bad at 16mm on the PZ, that's why I'd prefer the 16mm pancake anyways. But yep, for the price in the kit it's okay for sure - just not a too good standalone purchase.