Wide bargain lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, May 11, 2015.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    a forum to all of you old lenses lovers.
    I have sold my SEL 16 since I did not like the optical performance and at the same time I was rarely using.

For the rare case though I might need something that wide (well it does not need to be 16.. I guess I can also leave with 20mm)
    what would be your recommendation for a wide lens. I would be using really stopped down as the point would be anyway to keep everything in sharp focus.
    Can you suggest something on that area?
    Regards
    Alex

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Well its not old but it Does perform very well the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm 2.0 ncs (apsc only). Its very well priced and is comparable to the Zeiss Touit 2.8. The Zeiss is better in some regards and the Samyang is better in others, but while the Touit is AF capable the Samyang is MF only. The Zeiss is quite a bit dearer though.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    these native emount lenses do they provide exif information for my lightroom ? :)

4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'm very happy with my copy of the 19mm Sigma (old plastic version). It's pretty sharp, even in the corners, has very good microcontrast, far less CA than the SEL24f18Z and doesn't break the bank. It's not the most flare resistant lens out there but has been living on my NEX-7 for quite a while now.

The Sigmas yes, the manual Samyangs-Rokinons-Walimex-whatever don't.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Sigma 19mm is very obvious choice. Samyang 12mm is a fine lens but it is really wide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    There's also the SEL20 2.8 which shouldn't be very expensive second hand...

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Sigma 19mm vote from me. I also have one on my a6000, and love it. It's AF and recognized in EXIF. The Samyang 12mm is MF and no EXIF data.

8. Nexnut

The 20mm drives me mad, Nick ;) ; can't beat that size (well, almost). I've returned my second copy of that lens last week because of mushy borders and corners, even at f5.6. The problem is that I've seen fullsize images from that lens that don't show these issues, at least not as pronounced. There have to be some decent copies out in the wild - the hunt goes on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Ah, Sony's quality control, such a wonderful thing! :dash2:

10. Nexnut

Similar issues made me leave Nikon after more than 25 years and it hasn't been much better during my time with Fuji (different story, but back to Sony after all, despite their wonderful glass etc...). I somehow doubt it's much different anywhere else these days but it sure gets pretty tiring after a while.

11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yep, had the same problems as well with Nikon glass for my D200 and D300s at the time.

12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hm...
    I just sold the sel 16 because I found the performance to be "weird" for a prime lens.
    I also have mixed feeling for SEL 20 and Sigma 19 (I am a photozone truster so check reviews there) where you need to really stop them down (like a zoom lens) to get a good border perfrormance.
    All these lesnses are in the 200 euros regions (plus minus twenty) which I think are not well invested in the sense of what else I can have with that money.
    I sold also my SEL 1855 and with the SEL 16. I got around 350 euros
    which is few euros more of what the Sigma 1650 f 2.8 costs,
    which is considered a very good lens and very sharp just by stopping down once.

I will perhaps buy it in this week to test it (I would also have the right to return it back)

Lets see how it goes (yes I know I will not have stabilization)

Regards
    Alex

13. Nexnut

I had the 17-50mm/f2.8 Tammy (first version) on my D300 and later on my first NEXes via Novoflex Nikon G adapter. I've been pretty happy with my copy but together with the adapter it's a monster on any NEX and I finally sold it. I guess your Sigma is even better optically but it's not really compact either.
    Just in case, I almost forgot the Samyang 16mm/f2 (review) if manual focusing is your thing. It has always been a bit to wide for my idea of a walkaround lens but that has changed lately.

Cheers, Ken

14. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Yes it is gonna be big but I would give it a try.. Perhaps this might be also an escape/alternative path away from aps-c emount bodies.
    Alex
    P.S I will write back when lens arrives how it feels

15. Nexnut

The 28mm/f2 FE looks like my return ticket back to FF . I mentioned it somewhere else but I'd shoot a future A7R in crop mode for the casual stuff (with NEX glass) and keep those crazy 36MP reserved for the seeeerious stuff, my Zeissies and the 28mm FE. I'm in no hurry though and rather wait for the price drop after the A7R II has been announced.
    Good luck with the Sigma!

16. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Lets see also how my case evolves. I have already found great alpha lenses at very good prices.. the point is to see that body balance think first