Wide angle suggestions

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by JMM, Sep 10, 2017.

1. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    Hello, i've got a problem. Im kind of "pro" photographer (90% of my work time is taking and processing photos of some kind, 10% is tinkering in microscopes), doing mostly macro, micro and extreme tele shots (generally everything that include magnification). Very occasionally portraits and exterior/landscapes and extremely rarely interior shots (technically im not obliged to deliver those kind of shots). For micro i've got SEM, few optical microscopes. For macro i've got minolta 100 2.8 and Canon Mp-e65 + bunch of enlarging / custom lenses. For tele i've got tamron 150-600 6.3 and Minolta 70-210 4 . For portraits im using minolta 50 1.4 . For landscapes and interior shots only thing i've got is minolta 35-70 4 and (only E-mount lefover) samyang 8 2.8 .
    I got a7 and a6000 (a6000 is the workhorse for micro/macro/tele because of superior resolution - those kind of photos are supposed to be showing extreme detail, not sharpness).

My employer is happy with all the results except interior shots (samyang) due to fish eye effect. After defishing, corners are really mushy and perspective distortion is extreme. To give you an idea, he said something like "curves are too extreme" about fished shot and "our manor house is looking like palace" after defishing. 35 is too tight and 8mm is too wide + distorted. My expertise in wide angle is almost non existant, so my question is what lens (A or E mount) can you suggest that is as wide as possible, but without that extreme perspective distortion (35 is fine, but too tight and 8 mm is definately too distorted). I just dont know what to look for. Price is 750 USD tops, lens can be pre-owned, as even 1 dollar above that would require weird procedures and month paperworks. Am i asking for impossible?

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    There are a lot of options, for the A7 the most flexible one would be the FE 4/16-35mm IMHO if that's available used for $750 or less. Personally I'd avoid legacy wide-angle zoom lenses because their geometric distortion will be objectionable for interiors and correction profiles may not be available for them. Another excellent option is a used E 4/10-18mm for the A6000, which should be obtainable for less than $750. For interiors the flexibility of a zoom lens is very convenient and a focal length of about 16mm on FF c.q. 10mm for APS-C will come in handy for tighter shots. Just my 2ยข.

• Like Like x 3
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I suggest the Samyang/Rokinon FE 14mm f/2.8 UWA. On APS-C the FOV is 21mm. And on the A7 you get the full UWA effect. Distortion is minimal in the a6000, and can be corrected for the A7. It's brilliantly sharp and well corrected. Colors and contrast excellent.
    I got mine used for $220 USD, for the original manual-focus version. There are newer versions with a revised mirrorless optical formula and optional AF.

I'd suggest their 12mm f/2 UWA for APS-C, for tighter interiors, but it's limited to the a6000.

I own a Samyang/Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 fisheye, so I understand what you mean, it doesn't yield the proper perspective even with 'defishing'.
    Their 12mm f/2.8 fisheye returns a more workable image in APS-C. But their 14mm UWA is straighter and acceptable. You can peruse my flickr account for sample shots off my a6000.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    The 10-18 f/4 Emount is an option, especially if utilizing a tripod. There is some distortion but can be mostly corrected in post.

There are a few "Zero distortion" lenses for Emount but I believe all are over $750.00. Laowa just came out with at 15mm (Full Frame) f/2 "zero" distortion, but likely too early to find a used copy.

5. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Yes I also would vote for the E10-18 on the A6000. For a prime, the only options not mentioned under $750 are the Zeiss Touit 12 (you can get one used under $750) and the Sam/Rok AF14/2.8 (currently $630 at B&H). If you opt for the AF 14, make sure you get one new from a reputable dealer in case you need to exchange it though - there are reports many copies are decentered.

Don't bother trying the E10-18 on your A7 either, many people seem to think it works OK at f/l between 14~18. It doesn't in my experience (with A7R); too much "mustache" distortion uncorrected.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf

Got it; works great on the A6000.

7. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Shoot UWA on your A7 with the Voigtlander 15mm F/4.5 or now Laowa 15mm f/2.0 :2thumbs:

8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I know you want E-mount, but at the price point ($400)of the irix 15mm 2.4 I recently purchased for astro opportunities, you can add a cheap Cannon smart adapter and never remove it. So far I am happy with the build quality and results especially considering the price point.

The only issue I have with the lens the size. It is quite large, which is to be expected for a large aperture FF UWA. It does have some nice features that you don't typically find in such lenses like filter threading(95mm), almost no distortion, removable hood, focus lock, electronic connections via smart adapter, and a slot for gel filters.

Here are a few test shots I performed at a local site and processed using Capture One with default "landscape - color 1" preset. The first 3 shots are at landscape apertures f/8-f/11. The shot is wide open @ F/2.4. I know these tests aren't scientific, but I don't shoot brick walls so I don't test with brick walls. Hopefully they are helpful to you or anyone else interested.

Irix test.

Irix test_1.

Irix test_3.
    Last one wide open F/2.4
    Irix test_2.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    The Voightlander range of E mount ultra wide lenses are excellent. I don't know what they sell for in USA so may be just over budget.
    They have 10, 12 and 15mm lenses, compact, solid build and excellent IQ rectilinear lenses. Manual focus.
    I have the 10 and 15 and have owned the 12mm.
    Excellent lenses, well recommended.