Wide-angle prime recommendations?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nate_Dogg, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    I’m interested in getting peoples thoughts on a wide angle prime for my NEX-6; I’m in the market for something in the 24 to 20mm range, with good IQ. I’d consider the 19mm Sigma (I already have the 30mm), but in all honesty, I actually prefer the manual focus/metal body lenses – simply put, I just have more fun shooting with them. The main use for this lens will be as a walk around, with a little bit of architectural and landscape shots thrown in for good measure.

So far the lenses on my short list are the CV 21mm/f4 and the Rokkor 24mm/f2.8. For reference I already have adapters for Minolta MD, Leica M, Nikon, and M42. As for my budget, I really don’t want to spend more than $500, and would actually prefer to spend half that.

Thanks for your feedback!
    -Nate

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hard to go wrong with either one of those, or the CV25 for that matter. There are any number of 21s around, but most are outside your budget I think.

Welcome to the forum BTW. :)

3. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    500 isn't a budget really small... ;-)

So the Rokkor would be the choice for me here, I like the feeling of the old Minota lenses.

But the Sigma 19mm woulb be worth a second look too due to it's IQ...
    Or if you want to go a bit wider why don't you think about the 16mm with both converters. I love my combination giving me 3 lenses for a great price...

4. Nate_Dogg

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    Thanks for the quick responses, as well as the welcoming!
    Quick question regarding the MD Rokkor 24mm 2.8. I've heard that if your adapter focuses past infinity (which mine does), it can affect IQ, due to the floating front element design. Any additional thoughts on this?
    Thanks again!
    Nate

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I've heard that some people have used paper shims to adjust infinity focus for an adapter that's a little bit short. The lens/adapter would pretty much be married, but it should work.

Not sure that the front element would cause any specific issues, but I'm not familiar with that lens.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I don't think that this focusing past infinity is real problem with wide lenses. It is typically something like a 0.1 mm and that doesn't change things much. You can shim it away if you want (it is real problem with 8mm lenses). My suggestion for a 24 mm lens is Ensinor 24mm/2.8:
    ENSINOR 24mm f 2.8 Macro Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

That lens is sold by many names. I paid 60 GBP for mine.

7. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
  8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If you're after the best possible image quality, that Sigma 19/2.8 is extremely hard to beat by any legacy lens. I have one and it's excellent.

9. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    The CV21 and the Rokkor are both great lenses, you wouldn't be going wrong with either. Only thing for me though, with the crop factor, the 24 isn't too wide, and the 21 will be a fairly average wide. Have you looked at the CV15? The earlier model (which is Leica thread mount and not rangefinder coupled, which makes absolutely no difference on the NEX) is within your price range and the IQ is fantastic. Might be another option worth considering.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, happy shooting!

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Be aware that the Voigtländer 15mm is reputed to cause color shifts near the edges and corners, especially on the NEX-7. You'll need to shoot raw and an extra step with CornerFix in your post-processing to correct for this.

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Traditional shimming material is beer can metal. Paper is ok and is available in many thicknesses and is easy to work with. Thin brass sheet is probably the best material. I will purchase Samyang 8 mm in Pentax mount sometime so I will probably be doing this some time in future.

You can use the modified adapter with other lenses but it is best to mark it some way so you know that this adapter works lens in question.

12. RalllyFan

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    As does the CV 21 the OP is looking at, however the issue is typically more pronounced with the NEX 7 vs. the 6, 5n, etc. For me, the extra time in cornerfix (if even applicable) would be a small price to pay to use an excellent quality wide angle :D

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Depends on the sensor. I mean the specific sensor. N7, pretty much bet on it. 5N, maybe yes, maybe no. My 5N does, all the way up to the CV28/3.5. Other 5Ns don't at all. No idea why. [shrug]

It is one more step in post, but since I'm putting EXIF data in there anyway it's isn't really onerous, especially since you can batch process them.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Especially for the money

15. Nate_Dogg

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    Probably my biggest gripe/concern with the Sigma 19, is the focus ring - assuming it is the same as the Sigma 30, or other native E-Mount lenses. For some reason I find them very tedious to manual focus, since the ring continues to spin and doesn't seem to index well. Since I much prefer manual focus for walk-around shooting, I've shied away from this lens.

Another option would be to pick up the 19 for $100 bucks, and then try and find a good deal on a legacy 24 (or 15), and have the best of both worlds.

Lots to chew on...

16. RalllyFan

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I have the 19 and it is a great, sharp lens, but yeah, the manual focus ring leaves a bit to be desired (and does operate the same as the 30). For snapshots, some landscape work, sunrises/sunsets, etc. it's a great performer, but if precise manual focus control is a priority the CV's and Rokkor's are better suited to the task. Personally, I hate not having a stop at infinity or close focus. The other reason I keep mine is someday I'd like to try my hand at some video, and the AF will certainly come in handy there.

17. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin

Yes, well a $99 AF prime isn't going to feel like a nice well damped WA legacy lens. I'm a huge fan of legacy glass. I shoot it almost exclusively with it but WA legacy glass is spendy. I think the Sigma is as advertised. It's a cheap reasonably well made, slowish prime with very good IQ for the price. I think at $99 it's well worth having in the kit. I have a 30 and there are times when it's nice to have. I will say that the Sigma 30 (and I assume the 19) are way better than they have a right to be given the price.

18. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I agree. For the price both are very good. I will get the 19 mm one as it is only 110 € locally. I have Samyang 14 mm and think that it is a good buy too. Legacy lenses are tempting for 24 mm primes and over and even legacy telephoto zooms are very usable. For example Vivitar 19mm is more expensive, almost one stop slower, doesn't have AF and is used. Compared with Sigma 19 mm.

19. Nate_Dogg

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    Thanks for your feedback everyone, it's much appreciated!
    I think I'm going to go with the CV 21/f4, since after some thought, I believe it will force me to shoot more with my Leica Summicron 50/f2, since it uses the same adapter. As you can see, she's feeling a little lonely right now (note the dust on the outside of the front element).

20130207_150304.

Furthermore, I'm also thinking about picking up a Leica M3 in the future, so it would be great to use the CV 21 on that camera as well.

-Nate

20. RalllyFan

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    That Summicron is beautiful and begging for some use! Make sure you get the screw mount 21, it comes with the viewfinder as well should you want to use it on a M3 in the future. The M mount does not come with the viewfinder, and they're oddly the same exact optics and same price. Otherwise the viewfinders tend to be a little expensive (I think about $159 for a 21). That's my reasoning for wanting the 21 at the moment as it will be a great wide angle for my Leica IIIf.