Wide Angle Options

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by serhan, Jun 12, 2013.

1. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Interesting LL article on wide angle choices on nex, published last month, but I just saw it:

WA NEX

Hopefully they will update with the Zeiss 12mm also. Interestingly I saw very mixed user experiences on some of these lenses like the CV 12mm/15mm and Contax g 28mm on nex cameras, maybe due to sensor+adapter+lens combo error/tolarances.

Here is other reviews of CV15mm/Contax g 28mm on nex 7 showing the magenta shift:
    Sony NEX-7 with Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Asph Lens Review | Photohead Online
    Sony NEX-7 with Contax G 28mm F2.8 Lens Review | Photohead Online

We'll see how much new nex-7n w/o AA filter will solve these issues or what they will do for the full frame sensor to avoid it.
  2. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    This is a good post, because finding an affordable ultra wide-angle lens for the NEX-system is a bit of a challenge. Anything shorter than 28mm tends to be very expensive or very inferior.

I have seen some great results with the Minolta MD 16mm f/2.8, but this is a rare and expensive lens. The Sony 16mm and Sigma 19mm are affordable but not really up to scratch.

In the end, after some reasearch and pixel-peeping, I decided that the Vivitar 17/3.5 and the Tokina 17/3.5 were the best economic choices. They aren't perfect but on a crop sensor they seem to deliver a vivid and fairly consistent wide image.

Accordingly, I have a Tokina 17/3.5 en route in the mail.

(On a side note, I just tried a Minolta MD 28mm f/2.8 lens on a Minolta 35mm ff camera (X-700) and I was blown away by how wide it was. The field of view far outstrectched the eye's field of vision, so I had to glance from side to side to compose the shots. In fact I was amazed by how much more natural the legacy lenses felt on the system that they were originally designed for. As a result, will will probably be bringing a film camera as a backup, at least occasionally.)
    • Like Like x 1