1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wide a-mount recommendation for a6000?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pworden, May 20, 2014.

1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I'm selling my Nex-6 with the 16-50 kit lens, having purchased the a6000. I wanted, and got more detail for macro, and the fast focusing doesn't hurt, either. Also purchased the LA-EA2 with the SAL100M28 - much easier than my Vivitar 90 macro, but that old one still shines for long exposures in natural light. Anyway, my budget if pretty blown, and now there's a hole where a wide angle should be. Aside from my fisheye lens, I now have nothing wider than a 28mm Minolta MC. I'd love to get either the 18-105 or the 1670Z, but they're out of my budget for a LONG time. In the meantime, I have this LA-EA2 with just the one, a-mount lens. Is there an a-mount auto-focus zoom that anyone would recommend that would be better than the 16-50 and not too expensive? I've briefly looked at the Sigma17-50 DC OS HSM, the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the Sony DT 18-70. Stabilization would be nice. I never really liked the 16-50, found it to be really soft; maybe it was just my copy. I can't be too critical at this point, of course :) I'll check the sample images archives, but would like to hear a couple of opinions. I hope after awhile a 18-105 G lens will show up as used.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I had both the Tamron and Sigma 17-50/2.8 in my Canon days, both are very sharp, I'd say my copy of Tamron was a little sharper but Sigma focused faster... But the IQ difference was minimal.

However, it is my understanding that neither Sigma nor Tamron have OS in their A-mount lenses, due to Sony SLT having IBIS. E.g I know for a fact that another lens I had on Canon, Tamron 70-300 VC, did not have Vibration Compensation in their otherwise identical Sony version (but at least, they kept the same price ;) )

3. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    wide angle on a crop sensor sony camera... what about that sony 10-18 zoom? or the sigma 19mm? i don't think that either of them are a-mount, tho???

4. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Thanks for all of that info. I will probably just keep the kit lens after all, until I can get an e-mount zoom replacement with OSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk