• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Wicked Weather, Storms and Bad Days for a Picnic.

Will Focus

TalkEmount Veteran
specialk charlevoix.JPG
ILCE-7RM2    24-70mm F2.8 DG DN | Art 019    24mm    f/2.8    1/200s    ISO 200

Did a quick search and didn't land on a weather thread. If there is one I can repost in that if need be. This is the leading edge of a line of thunderstorms that blasted through here this morning and kept me in port. Behind it was clearing, but it brought heavy winds and large waves, which also kept me in port. Maybe tomorrow will be Wonderful Weather and I can start a thread for that !

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Details on the boat you're sailing please. I have sister's-in-law who have boats and sail to Catalina regularly, weather permitting of course.
That's a nice looking boat.
Me?
I can get sea sick just standing on a dock so no sailing for me unfortunately.:frown:

Will Focus

TalkEmount Veteran
Details on the boat you're sailing please. I have sister's-in-law who have boats and sail to Catalina regularly, weather permitting of course.
That's a nice looking boat.
Me?
I can get sea sick just standing on a dock so no sailing for me unfortunately.:frown:
It's a J35. We used to race for many years but have taken the last few off. I've never made it to Catalina Island. Always wished I had. Back in the late 70's I lived in L.A. for few years years but my focus back then, from the little I can remember, was the Whiskey A Go Go, the Roxy, the Rainbow, the Greek and Universal Ampitheaters, among others. All kind of a blur now, though a bit clearer than the 60's and early 70's in New York. Gosh, I'm old...

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
My copy of Heavy Weather Sailing by Adlard Coles was lost in an urban flood, which was the closest I ever got to actually needing its contents! That flood cost us a lot of money, but the greatest pain was lost books.

Anyway, yes, used to sail, but somehow never went back to it after the health problem that stopped me, for several years, was fixed.

Will consume all sailing posts and pics avidly.

Mama keeps saying that the wind might blow
But standing here, I say I just don't know...

Brownie

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Tim
A friend crews on the big boats for the Port Huron to Mackinaw race each year. He also raced his own 35' several times a year. This year he sold the 35' and bought a 47'. I've been invited out on it next Thursday. Expect non-Sony photos.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
A friend crews on the big boats for the Port Huron to Mackinaw race

I never raced. My attitude to boats was very much opposite. I used to love to take a boat and row on the river, just pottering, for hours. My sailing was similar. Racing hones the seamanship, of course: throughout the history of commercial sail, beating the competition was key.

I didn't sail dingies either. That I regret, because it teaches a lot. Used to charter with friends, and I'd have someone who was an ex dingy sailor, but frightened by a 40-foot yacht. They were always my best helmsperson. Wind? I had to works stuff out: they just knew!

Interestingly, a friend that I used to join on his boat for weekends, and sometimes a week or two, agreed with this, but said that he had the opposite opinion of windsurfers. He said, they never had a clue! These days, neither have I. Never mind navigation and chart work, I've forgotten the very basics of sailing. But I seem to recall telling people, "Simply getting a boat to move through the water in something like the right direction is not that difficult," so I guess I could learn again.

And yes, that is a beautiful boat you have there.

Latest threads

Top Bottom