• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Why you wouldn't buy an A7R IV - comments welcome

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Top Veteran
That's right: the thread is on why you wouldn't buy a IV.

It's not a specs or features comparison. It's about how the IV, the III and the others actually perform for you as a tool. It's not about differences per se. That's for the marketers and fan boys.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Earlier this year some extra money came my way and I decided to spend it on camera gear. I have a A7ii that has been with me since 2015 and on dozens of journeys and gatherings and walks. It has supplied me with thousands of images, a few good enough for my wall, and hundreds good enough for our scrapbooks. I considered the A7iii, the A7Rii, the A7Riii, and the A7Riv. I decided against extra pixels mainly for storage and processing management and speed. So my reasons for not buying the R4 were simply money and belief that more than 24MP were not beneficial to me for my purposes. I made the right choice for me.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
My issue is that I don't need high megapixels all the time. I'm a volume/spray-n-pray kind of shooter. I don't even consider myself a great photographer, I just shoot so many images one or two shots are bound to come out good! I wish Sony had a medium/small raw format like Nikon. It would actually negate having to own a lower MP camera like the A7III if the A7RIII/IV could should smaller raws and just use the full sensor res when wanting larger print photos.

+1

Cost and topical matters aside, the author answers are obvious, seem to me.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Earlier this year some extra money came my way and I decided to spend it on camera gear. I have a A7ii that has been with me since 2015 and on dozens of journeys and gatherings and walks. It has supplied me with thousands of images, a few good enough for my wall, and hundreds good enough for our scrapbooks. I considered the A7iii, the A7Rii, the A7Riii, and the A7Riv. I decided against extra pixels mainly for storage and processing management and speed. So my reasons for not buying the R4 were simply money and belief that more than 24MP were not beneficial to me for my purposes. I made the right choice for me.
+1. What does one need...all these machines out do me...so?

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
*keeps shooting A7Rii*

Not that I will *never* upgrade. I could use the battery upgrade, in particular, but I know that at this point, I'm still not getting all the potential out of my two generations old camera, and it doesn't cost me a thing to continue shooting.

I think lens upgrades are what will actually make a difference in image quality.

Although, now that I think about it, the A7R4 is simultaneously Sony's highest resolution Full Frame and APS-C camera. It could replace both my A7 and my a6500.
I, for one, do like the way you think...should have mentioned it earlier.

TedG954

Super Moderator
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
A while back (few years) I stated that my A7II was all I'd ever need. Then I won some money and basically got a new A7RII for "free". Somebody on this forum called me out on it and asked, "I thought your A7II was all you'd ever need?" Well, I still stand by the original statement. The A7II is still beyond my technical abilities and the A7RII only accentuates that fact. If I won a whole lot of money, I doubt that I'd spend it on an A7RIV. For some folks, a great tool of that magnitude is necessary. Me? I quit fooling myself a while back.

Zenith

TalkEmount Veteran
I would go for A7III, I like less megapixels on sensor, less processing power used in a computer, better for low light (night photography), price of a camera which means I can buy lenses instead (dependable on a budget).

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
I have the RIII. The only real temptation with the RIV is the better evf. I just don’t need the MP.

Latest threads

Top Bottom