Why would folks be interested in an a6000 successor?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WT21, Jan 3, 2016.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Granted, I JUST got my a6000, so I guess I haven't found the frustrations yet, but on SAR they are talking about the a6100 successor with a 36MP BSI sensor.(SR3) Sony A6100 is shipping in March. Rumored to feature a new 36MP BSI sensor? | sonyalpharumors

Over on DPR, people are not believing the rumor (that's fine) and complaining they've been waiting so long for an a6100.

My question -- why are people waiting? High ISO on the a6000 is great. The camera is quick to operate. So far, AF has been fine for me (though I have yet to stress test), the colors are great. The handling is solid (and better than my a7, IMO). One user said "I've been holding my breath for the next iteration" but why?

What am I missing, lol.

2. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I can see 2 reasons for it, 1 the person who always has to have the latest thing but does not want FF and some will feel as its been so long those with m43 and Fuji have all the bragging rights. 2 Those that want more resolution but also want the angle of view APS c gives with their lenses, it could work well for some prime shooters using the A7r too. If it is a better camera then the A6000 then I guess those upgrading from the Nex 6/7 will get a nice jump though.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    There's no perfect camera :D Everybody's preferences are different. Having said that, I don't have an A6000 but I'm sure there's a lot of things I would like in an a6000 replacement if I were in the market for one - I would like IBIS for example ;)

4. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Yeah, I suppose in online fora, equipment "bragging rights" are just as important as actual output :)

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I'm one of those.

I am highly content with the A6000. My concern is with the future of the platform. I have been highly invested in the E-Mount platform since the original NEX-3.

It would be sad if Sony no longer makes APS-C E-Mount cameras.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    People are always waiting for the next iteration of everything :).

A little better sensor performance, a little more resolution, what's not to like? :daz:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I agree that the A6000 sensor is already great, and I dread to think how lightroom is going to handle 36MP files on my laptop.

I would be keen if they upgraded the EVF, i do find it limiting. And it would be great if there was IBIS. That would make me want to upgrade.

I think the reason Sony is keen to get the upgrade out is it will have 4K video.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I have learned to ignore rumors. I own the a6000. And it's a capable and formidable APS-C platform. And given the price drop, it's still the (consumer/enthusiast) camera to get. I think I understand Sony's philosophy. The 'replacement' a6000 was already released....the A7ii.
    Studying the previous line up of NEX 6 and 7, Sony probably discovered their market distribution, and there was no demand for a NEX 8. All the bells and whistles in an APS-C based current form factor, wasn't going to compete well with a pro-sumer DSLR. Sales numbers are still much greater for Canon and Nikon consumer APS-C to FF DSLRs. Therefore it made sense to create the a6000 as the gateway camera to the A7 line.
    This thinking is the same as why you'll never have Canon release a Rebel/EOS packed with the latest and greatest.
    IBIS in a a6000, doesn't make much sense from a marketing standpoint. They are trying to sell their APS-C lens line, with OSS. There are lacking holes in the lens line up, I understand. But adding IBIS doesn't fill that hole. No lens sales revenue for them. You end up with a costlier body that will reduce sales numbers and compete against the A7 line.

Pixel density will be limited by physical die size. It makes less sense to pack more Mp until noise gets so bad it negates the overall performance and results. Someone might do the math to see how many pixels are there for an APS-C sized slice of the current backlit A7Rii sensor.
    Any a6000 replacement will require a new processor to address the bump in pixel density. Otherwise bandwidth to handle the data will hurt performance.

I think realistically, the replacement, needs weather sealing, better ISO/noise performance, AF performance tweaked to improve high speed approaching subjects, a better EVF (it lags /interpolates under certain settings), more menu options for jpeg engine, full 14-bit RAW, a dataport/power bus interface for options via a battery grip like attachment. A bump in resolution usually sells, and likely, given Samsung's APS-C is higher (and the rumors Nikon is acquiring Samsung's camera department.). A better display would be nice...brighter OLED model. Drop the mult-function hot shoe, once and for fall!

Personally, I have no interest in a replacement a6000. Because it has done what it was designed to do....
    peaked my desire to upgrade to Sony full-frame.

9. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    An update of the A6000 or any prosumer grade addition to Sony's aps-c line is worth nothing without some serious update in their lensline. Where is the 60-70mm macros and portrait lenses or serious wides (aparte from the touit) for aps-c and why is it samyang, sigma etc that make the fun lenses for the Sony cameras. Some wides and short teles (F/1.8-2) and 60mm macro lenses would make me a lot happier than a new camera body though I aknowledge it as a market maintenance move. Still I'd rather have those lenses :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I agree with most of the stuff mentioned above, but these are based on the old rumours. If the new rumour is to be believed, the BSI sensor has the potential to give a little kick to low light performance. The faster data xfer of a BSI sensor could also mean a boost to the burst speed (not shabby already) and maybe uncompressed raw like some of its bigger brothers.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  11. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head here. Especially if it is actually called an a6100. This would be consistent with the naming scheme of the a5000/a5100 where the "n100 model" has several features making it more suitable for video. And to add fuel for speculation, don't forget the 5100 has a touchscreen !

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    :hmmm:
    But no EVF..... That Sony logic...o_O......:D

13. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Didn't go for A6000 because of lack of touchscreen. Had Nex 3n before and it was so ugly to manage and control AF.

As someone coming from serious equipment, naming Nikon D700 for past 8 years and lots of lenses, I was so frustrated.

A5100 explained how MILC body should control AF. Yes, a lot of automatic features, but always possible override with touch. It is amazing how easy is to work with A5100. Finally I decided to sell DSLR and wait for A6000 successor with a TS.

"Unfortunately" I got crazy discount and traded TS in my imaginable camera body for existing A7ii. We will see in march, when successor is shown was it smart or rush decision.

Whenever successor of A6000 comes, this will be camera body which will change balance in the Force. Mirror in middle range will be dead.

Tapatalk

14. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I'd buy the a6100 (if it really has 36MP - and is as good at AF as the a6000 is), and immediately thereafter my a6000 will be off to LifePixel for and IR conversion!

15. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I would love to see IBIS in a more affordable camera body. If the A6100 does that, then I may pick one up rather than waiting for a more affordable FF version. But it's pretty hard to meet the price and features of the A6000. And so I wait with bated breath for the official announcement and specifications, hoping that nothing will be lost from the sensor change (ie, same or better AF speed and FPS), and that more will be gained (IBIS, Better ISO, Silent Shutter - to name a few). I don't care about more MP, touchscreen (I know others do, that's fine), and I'm on the fence over 4K video.

It will more than likely have the same processor, so will only get uncompressed RAW, but I will dream of lossless compressed :)

16. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    DB, I would bet a lot of money that with the 36MP sensor that is rumored, there is no way it can have the same FPS rate that the 24MP APS-C sensor does. But I fully agree about the IBIS value.

17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

That's the key. Can Sony pack in more goodness, without getting to expensive?

18. Adam B

Adam B TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2015
    I agree that the A6000 doesn't have a whole lot of glaring holes, but there are definitely areas where a successor would be desirable:
    - Even more advanced phase detect AF, to support adapted lenses
    - IBIS
    - Eye-AF in continous AF
    - Great auto-ISO customization
    - 4k video
    - BSI sensor

Truthfully, I'd prefer the A6100 have all that stuff, and stick to 24mp. I'm not inclined to buy a 36mp APS-C mirrorless camera. Especially when you look at the resolution of the smaller E-mount lenses... They aren't bad lenses of course, but most of them are leaving a ton of resolution on the table even at 24mp. DXO measures perceived resolution. If the lens isn't super sharp, then increasing the resolution of the camera won't actually increase the perceived resolution, since the lens isn't sharp enough to bring in all that detail. I suspect if you stick the kit lenses on a 36mp A6100, you won't get more than a miniscule increase in perceived resolution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I wouldn't be so sure. Don't forget that if it is a BSI sensor, they have inherently faster data transfer speeds. Even if they keep the same processor, a 50% bigger buffer would go a long way to keeping FPS high (though the "red light delay" after shooting may be longer).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Why do you think the BSIs have faster transfer speeds? From what I've read the BSI's only claim to fame is having the photosites closer to the top of the sensor so they avoid the wiring patterns necessary to operate the sensor. From my experience the speed of a uckt data transfer has almost nothing to do with the wiring and almost all to do with the reactance of the junctions (they all have a capacitance associated with them that affects charging and discharging rates). But I don't work with these things every day, so I'm open to suggestion.