Why won't MF assist work with a Sony 75-300 mm lens on the a6000?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ytthirteenhundred, Nov 29, 2014.

1. ytthirteenhundred

ytthirteenhundred TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    Hi, I recently swapped out my NEX 5 for an a6000. The camera is fantastic, but for some reason the MF assist won't activate when I have my Sony 75-300mm lens attached (I have a Sony LA-E2 adapter since the lens is not naturally an E mount). The MF assist works fine when my 18-55mm lens is attached, and the MF assist worked on my NEX 5 for both lenses. The MF assist is really important for me to get good crispness with the 300mm lens, so I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions to make it work.

Thanks!

P.S. I have doubled checked the MF assist is on, Peaking is off, and the auto focus will work so the camera is definitely reading the lens.

2. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
  3. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Check your DMF settings if that doesn't help you might have to get a standard A-mount to e-mount adapter. the LA-e2 might be sending to much AF lens info.

4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I think you'll have to assign MF Assist to a button as if you were using an MF lens.
    Reason is, Emount lenses have a fly-by-wire focus ring which the camera knows is in use and so auto switches to MF Assist, your Amount lens has a direct focus ring and so the camera has no idea you are turning it, hence you'll have to assign a button to tell it as much.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ytthirteenhundred

ytthirteenhundred TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    That fixed it, thanks!