1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why was the NEX name killed? You asked. Sony answers.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lenshoarder, Jan 12, 2014.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    In a nutshell, "NEX" became too popular. It is the best selling camera on Amazon afterall. So they killed it. People forgot that it was always the Alpha NEX line. Not just NEX. So they got rid of the NEX to emphasize the Alpha.

"However, the NEX model name prefix seems to have grown in prominence, such that the general public refer to them as NEX cameras instead of Alpha cameras. And therefore there was some concern on our part that they might not be perceived as Alpha cameras."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...-end-of-the-nex-moniker-mean-for-e-mount-fans

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    So everybody recognized mirrorless Sony cameras by the NEX name. I understand, too simple and too clear. It's a good thing Sony messed up their camera naming schemes completely so we have to invent names ourselves. Fortunately, if I look for a "NEX Minolta adapter" on eBay, I still get a lot of hits :).

3. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    It's their own fault for not putting up the full name on their own site, stores & promotional items. Everywhere I see it's always Sony NEX and not Sony Alpha NEX.

4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    To be honest their explanation says to me;
    "We realised there was another market out there, people who we can dupe into thinking they are buying an DSLR camera because it shares the same name 'Alpha' but it's MUCH cheaper and so SEEMS like an attractive deal. By merging our A-Mount and E-Mount cameras under the same name, it creates confusion and allows us to sell more cameras to folk that don't do their research, which as far as we can work out, is most people."

This target market TBH are those currently using point and shoot and want to step up their kit but ordinarily would find it cost prohibitive to go to full DSLR - as such most are not well versed in the do's/don'ts and pro's/con's of the mirror vs mirrorless interchangeable lens systems available. It is also worth noting, I expect most of this target market will be VERY happy with their mirrorless purchase, but I still find it a bit underhand of Sony to blur the lines.

It just means for those of us that do our research and know about all the plus/minus points E-Mount has over A-Mount there is no longer an easy way to determine E vs A mount... We will have to check if the proper model number is ICLE-XXXX which Sony know, no-one is going to use because it's not catchy like NEX was.
    They've hooked us now, so no need to worry about scaring us off with a name change.

5. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    To be fair, Sony has always put up the Alpha name on the NEX on all their marketing both online and in print. Look at their website.

http://store.sony.com/alpha-nex-cameras/cat-27-catid-Alpha-NEX-Cameras

No, they didn't just add Alpha, it's been that way all along. In fact, why does it still say NEX. Sony needs to update their website.

I even remember the Alpha people being up in arms over it when they launched the NEX since the NEX isn't an Alpha(A) Mount camera, why does it say Alpha? The Alpha Mount forums finally relented and added NEX subforums. Sony's point all along is that the NEX is an Alpha Mount camera too with the LA-EA adapters.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Cause if you notice they STILL sell some Nex cameras on their webstore ;)

7. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    At least not where I live :biggrin:. Okay to be honest there's an 'Alpha' symbol (not the word 'Alpha' itself) on occasion before the NEX word. Take this for example:

http://www.sony.co.id/product/nex-5tl

8. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    Alpha is what the Alpha symbol means. Look at the DSLRs. Those are undeniably Alpha cameras yet they don't use the world Alpha there either. They use the Alpha symbol just like they do for the NEX. Look at the NEX page, there are Alpha symbols everywhere.

http://www.sony.co.id/productcategory/e-mount-camera

In Indonesia they simply use the Alpha symbol instead of the English world Alpha.

9. BlueBill

BlueBill TalkEmount Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    I'm okay with it as long as they're keeping the NEX form factor & lens mount alive.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I'm sure glad they announced the change when they did - I was just about to go out and get a "Sony NEX Forever" tattoo!

• Like Like x 4
  11. lordkifar

lordkifar TalkEmount Regular

May 8, 2013
    Still do not see the logic....People associated the Nex with Sony and bought it...what more do they want...Sure it is the alpha nex but sometimes for quick speak, we only call it nex....

12. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I just bought it because my sister's friend had Nex7 at my sis's wedding and I was allowed to play with it for awhile and fell in love. I had never heard of them before, but wanted a new camera that I could change lenses on. Couldn't afford, nor did I want, and huge DSLR either. It was too much camera for me.

13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Many DSLRs (aps-c) are cheaper than many Nex's (ie. Nex-7) and many Nex's are more cameras than many DSLRs ;)

14. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    True. When all was said and done, I'm sure I've spent as much. Especially with my addiction to buying old lenses on Ebay. I didn't see that coming. But DSLRs are still too big for me. I can throw my NEX in my purse and with a DSLR, I wouldn't feel like I could do that. And this is just a fun hobby for me, nothing more ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Digital Bill

Digital Bill New to TalkEmount

Oct 1, 2013
    This ploy by Sony is a marketing train wreck. Talk about muddling the issue !

Two entirely different mounts, but ONE brand name ?

Why not drop the Alpha and just call them Sony cameras ?

It's as if Nikon and Canon merged, with their two different lens mounts (among other things), and they named the irrelevantly unified brand Canonik !

As a Nikon shooter who added an NEX-7 body and lenses to my kit late last year, I can tell you that trying to figure out the E-mount, A-mount scene was, well, confusing and non-sensical.

Sony makes great cameras. They really need to get some marketing and PR pros on their team. Pronto.

16. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    I don't give a fat rat's .... uhh .... what they call it, as long as it will let me use my 40-year accumulation of manual focus lenses on a high end digital camera.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BlueBill

BlueBill TalkEmount Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    Agreed.

As a bonus they currently have three different flash mounts for their camera line.

How do you pronounce ILCE? I-LiCE? ICE (that's what they said at the Toronto Sony head office)