1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why the sudden rash of cheap Sony cameras?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by samug, May 14, 2014.

1. samug

samug New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2014
    From FF to P&S, Sony cameras have been on sale lately. For example the A7 body for $999, A7 kit for $1099, RX1 for $1299, NEX 6 for $265 and the RX100 for $249. Does anyone know why? Is this a spring cleaning for Sony or something more fundamental?

2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Whoa, where have you seen those prices?

3. samug

samug New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2014
    The NEX 6 from Best Buy, everything else directly from Sony. Oh, I forgot about the $500(USD) A6000 body. That was from Dell.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know what part of the world you're in, samug. But the U.S. Sony store has the A7 (body only) for US$1699.99, and with the kit lens it's US$1999.99. Can you give us a link for that $999 A7 body?

None of the prices you list are even close to what I see at the Sony store.

5. samug

samug New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2014
    That would be the US. For the A7, you only tried the store.sony.com site didn't you? That's not the only Sony retail site in the US. Regardless, you missed it.

See the attachement for the RX1 and the RX100 prices.

Attached Files:

6. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    In France we don't have prices like that neither! Except for the NEX6 (because it's replaced by the A6000), there is absolutly no sales here.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Aren't those refurbished cameras? Also, can you give us the link for the $999 A7?

8. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Or at least clue us in as to what the other retail sites are so we can lurk them too?

Sent from my X909 using Tapatalk

9. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
  10. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Well, the story seems clearer now. The "sales" are on refurbished units, two of which - RX1and RX100 - are models that have been superseded by newer models -RX1R and RX-100M2 (and tomorrow's RX-100M3). The NEX-6 is also discontinued and being cleared out, as was the NEX-3N last month.

The only odd price in the list was really the A7 units. I wonder if those were just eBay or third-party, grey market sellers, because it seems clear Sony isn't selling the A7 for that. Or perhaps the reference to the A7 was merely confused with the now discontinued NEX-7?

I'm sure most of us here would love to find an A7 for $999. Even with my constrained budget, I think I'd find a way to find the $$$ for that price. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. samug

samug New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2014
  12. samug

samug New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2014
    Sony has a rewards program when for buying Sony products. This can be for anything from movies to cameras. You can trade in rewards for Sony products. Like many rewards programs, you can also buy points. 1 point is 1 cent. They recently had the A7 body on sale for 99,999 points. At a cent a point, that made it $999. As I said earlier, that sale is over now. They have sales all the time. Shortly after the RX100 was released, they had it available in the $400 range.

www.sonyrewards.com.

13. samug

samug New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2014
    The "story" is as it appears. As I said earlier, the A7 was directly available from Sony. Not ebay nor a 3rd party. I also did not confuse it with the NEX 7. The sale was posted on dpreview but no one seemed interested.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3663549

The RX1 and the RX100 have not been superceded. There are additionally models in those lines but the originals have not been discontinued and are still being sold. Sony has made that abundantly clear. Just like having a A7R doesn't mean the A7 is discontinued. Yes, they are refurbished but to save roughly 60% I think that's still a bargain. Especially since these are factory Sony refurbs and thus indistinguishable from new with full factory warranties.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, now that you've come clean about what was really available (refurbs, rewards, etc.) it hardly qualifies as a "sudden rash of cheap Sonys," does it? By those standards, there's a sudden rash of cheap [insert name of any consumer good here] available all over, all of the time.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    My apologies if I made incorrect assumptions or offended you.

However, that being said (and meant sincerely), as your initial post did not, as WoodWorks notes, provide clear context for the low prices (i.e., as reward deals or refurbs) and also implied the "rash" of sales meant something worrisome ("Is this a spring cleaning for Sony or something more fundamental?"), you can see where some of us may have cast a skeptical eye on the information. If you meant to help out and pass on information about good sales to the members of this forum, that is most appreciated (at least by me), but links to find those deals would have been great too. The rewards program site was news to me, so I will have to keep a closer eye on the sonyrewards.com and outlet sites when I am ready to upgrade...thank you. :)

Obviously Sony regularly clears out refurbished units and discontinued models. And they also often discount older models that have been superseded (but not discontinued) by newer, higher featured versions. Since they seem to introduce models often in April and May, and again in September and October, these are times that such deals tend to be found more. I have even noticed a trend the last couple years that about 45 days or so after a model launch Sony will run a sale (like $50 off), or a special lens bundle deal, on a brand new model to jumpstart sales in the summer and for the holiday season.

I do hope I haven't overstepped my bounds with anything I've said.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Makes sense now. An A7 for $999 is a bargain - I would be so tempted by that price!
    Unfortunately, our local Sony dealership here doesn't have these types of reward programs or discounts :(
    Its very frustrating seeing all the great deals that can be had and cheap prices for the US market and comparing them with our expensive prices here :(

17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    The original question asked by the OP remains unanswered. (why rash of cheap cams?)

Agree Sony refurb at the right price is good get. $999 for A7 is great deal, unfortunately appears we missed it. Post it up next time so folks can jump!

18. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Nex-6 for $265 :eek: worth buying to keep a spare at work with me

Sent from my C6903 using TalkEmount mobile app

19. samug

samug New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2014
    Especially since Sony is like Apple in that it controls the price of it's products from any authorized vendor new or refurbished. All this is done with Sony's permission.

20. samug

samug New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2014
    That's still available at Best Buy. Not as easy to get as it was last week when it started, but people have found them today. The 3N is $170.

By the way, the RX100 is back in stock for $249 refurbished at Sony. Don't forget the 2 year warranty for $25. That's worth it. You have to sign up for an account to see that price. Google "RX100 $249" for how to sign up.

• Like Like x 1