1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why the NEX 5?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Pete, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Pete

Pete TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 12, 2011
    Hi all: howz about some thoughts on why you guys and gals like the nex system. I have never used it but have considered
    it a possiblity. Currently I use the panny LX1 and Voigtlander Bessa L, I know, not a great combo here. I do see a new camera
    in the future but would really love some of your feelings and thoughts on the NEX.

Cheers all,
    PEte

2. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Pete, I'm interested to hear the answer to your question. I have ordered a NEX-5n myself and am awaiting supplies arriving at the camera shop so I'm hoping I haven't made a bad decision with my choice. ;-)

Cheers, Macjim.

3. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    The two big advantages with the NEX is the APS-C sized sensor and their extremely good performance at high-ISO. I'm not crazy about the native lens choices, but I bought mine to use with manual focus lenses and the focus peaking functionality makes it ideal for that.

4. bosker

bosker TalkEmount Rookie

I would second what Travisennis has stated. I actually own a Pen e-pl1, with panny 20mm 1.8 lens, a Nikon D90 with several nikkor lenses and I was never really interested in the Sony's, however it all changed when I started reading reviews about the Focus Peaking functionality. This makes using manual lenses 10x better in my opinion then on the Micro 4/3rds systems. It's hard to explain this capability but when shooting with just the LCD screen it makes the whole process a lot quicker. This plus larger sensor size and way better low light capability in such a small package essentially sold me.

Now I am debating as to wether I should sell my D90 or not. Hardly ever use it anymore. I haven't had the Sony NEX-5N for long but so far it has been an extreme joy to use.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Travisennis pretty much summed up the reason why I shoot with the NEX.

6. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    [/QUOTE] Now I am debating as to wether I should sell my D90 or not. Hardly ever use it anymore. I haven't had the Sony NEX-5N for long but so far it has been an extreme joy to use.[/QUOTE]
    I've actually sold my D90, lenses and dedicated flash as part if the trade in to buy the NEX-5N as I hadn't used the D90 since January this year. I've been using a Leica d-lux 5 as my main camera as I could carry it around all the time.

Cheers, Macjim.

7. Pete

Pete TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks all so much for your thoughts and comments. I can see Ive got some serious thinking to do here. Plus I cant wait until the end of the month, if you know what I mean. I appreciate all the comments, best of luck to you all.
    Pete