1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why NEX dont have large telephotos?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta TalkEmount Regular

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    I have seen we only have teles medium as the 50mm and 60mm, they are very good focal for portraits, but a focal lens between 75mm and 135mm are better for portraits.

Another mirrorless cameras like M4/3 (I have a GH2) and NX have large telephotos.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Well...Samsung does have an 85mm ƒ1.4 so that FL is within the realms of possibility for NEX.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    135mm with a 1.5 times crop for portraits? You know the distance you need to your subject might be a little bit too long, right?

But I agree, a fast 80mm portrait lens is still missing, but it's on the roadmap. Don't forget how new the NEX system still is, and it has come remarkably far in this short amount of time.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I agree. Within just a couple of years, over ten mountable lenses and a couple of generations of bodies.

Remember the NEX was an experiment for Sony, that still is a small portion compared to the A Mount line, within a much larger company.

5. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    Ah....Samsung is new also...:)

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, and look at their lens line-up. It's really not even close to the one for E-Mount. Sure, they've got a portrait prime, but that's about the only thing that's better in the NX line-up - and E-Mount will get one too very soon.

On top of that, they just launched a camera without controls and only a huge touchscreen on the back of the camera for €1500. Yep, they sure understand what enthusiasts want ...

7. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    Considering that Samsung didn't have a Minolta to gain experience from, I'd say they're not doing too bad.
    They also have that nice 30mm ƒ2 pancake prime too :)

If there's ever an under-dog in this mirrorless world, it's Samsung.

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, and with the money of the world's biggest electronic manufacturer it's not too hard to buy all the know how you need.

The 30mm f/2 is nice, but only because it's a pancake. In quality, it's not better than any of the NEX options, be it the 30mm Sigma, the 32mm Touit or the 35mm Sony lenses.

9. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Ahem, 75mm and 135mm are not "large telephotos"

They are small and very wide angle IMO ;) Hopefully one day you might get your wish for those focal lengths.

Danny.

10. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    You've been mis-reading my posts.
    Nowhere within this thread have I stated that Samsung is "better" than NEX. All that I've done is pointed out lens
    options that Samsung has done that Sony hasn't within the context that they should be "do-able" too by Sony. :)

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Grass is always greener.

12. Manu-4Vendetta

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    My favorite focal for portrait now its the 135mm, I like over the Zuiko 50mm f1.4, I feel some of my best portraits are made with that focal. So, in street a long tele its great for portraits.

9373181938_214e5c7927_c.

8705757429_4bc1e9043f_c.

9334275196_d01914e9d2_c.

9373357390_f93bb6e934_c.

But for studio and normal circumstances a focal between 75mm and 90mm its great for portraits.

13. Sagar Joshi

Sagar Joshi New to TalkEmount

Sep 4, 2013
    I think its simpler than we think. Nothing but market economics is at play here. If you look at m4/3 for example, with an exception of 20mm pancake, all the lenses initially launched were consumer lenses nearly exactly similar what Sony was/is doing. It took m4/3 3-4 years to release 75mm lens. However we may like better primes and lenses, we are in minority and don't drive volumes for the companies. So they always target lower end first and then launch higher end product. Only exception I can think of to this marketing strategy is Fuji which did exactly other way round, but in that case as well, they have to release lower level lenses and bodies.

I have no doubt Sony is now focusing on amateur and hopefully we will see much better lenses coming in rest of 2013/2014

14. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    That's why we left other systems to come to NEX right? ;)

15. jinju32

jinju32 New to TalkEmount

Jun 8, 2013
    There's a leaked photo of Zeiss 85mm F/1.8 that you can see on the SAR...
    But I saw that the filter thread is too large for such a lens (72mm) I guess we should wait for a concrete information.
    However, I'm pretty sure that a telephoto prime with 85mm F/1.8 will come pretty soon this year.
    I also want to say... I don't want the lens to come with the zeiss branding as it will make the lens unaffordably expensive... Just G would do well.

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's already confirmed multiple times that the image was fake. A 'fast telephoto lens' still is on the Sony roadmap, but whether it's a Sony or a Zeiss and when it comes is still unknown.

I hope it's a Zeiss though. The 85mm f/1.4 on A-Mount is already wonderful, the 135mm f/1.8 is close to perfection and Zeiss made several other great telephoto primes, so I bet this one would be no different. However, I might just stick with the 50mm Touit for portraits. There's no reason why you'd need a longer lens than 50mm (75mm eq) for portraits, except for being able to stand further away from the subject, of course (Background compression too, but that can be managed with choosing the backgrounds more carefully). But I'm quite comfortable standing close to my subjects anyway.

17. Manu-4Vendetta

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Yes, Zeiss will be very very expensive.

18. jinju32

jinju32 New to TalkEmount

Jun 8, 2013

Thanks for the info. I actually thought that the image was kind a weird but couldn't tell whether it was a fake.

Also, I wanna have a telephoto lens with a longer focal length than SEL50F18 for a better background compression cause I do portraits but also macro photography with extension tubes. :)