1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why my pictures are just dull in color?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Nex6, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Dear all,

Its great to see everyones awesome images taken from your cameras. Many of them has superb sharpness and color.

However, I really wonder why is it that all my pictures taken by my nex6 with kit lens 16-50 km, sigma 19mm, Minolta MD 50mm 1.4, etc. Never comes out as vivid and as sharp as some of the pictures that many of you has shared with the same lens. Did everyone just Photoshop their photos??

I also had a dslr Canon xsi a while ago and the color and sharpness also seems better which is strange BC that camera has the same sensor size as my nex and lower Mega pixels.

I dont have time to Photoshop my photos so I hope they just come out looking naturally vibrant in color and sharp. Is there something I can do to change the setting in the nex to make my pictures have those beautiful blue skies lush green grass, etc?

I wish I can share pictures here too but I think my pictures from my nex is just so dull in color and even the vivid mode in nex sucks BC it makes everything look too yellow. Too embarrassed to share anything here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TalkNEX mobile app

2. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Firstly, do not be embarrassed to post your pictures!

If you post them, we can see what is going wrong and get you on the right track with your NEX 6. Chances are, there are some settings that you can adjust to get the kind of pictures that you want.

There is a huge wealth of NEX knowledge on this forum, but the experts will need to see your pictures in order to help.

Rich.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    True, if you don't post them we can't help you. That being said, shooting RAW and applying a profile in Lightroom/Aperture only takes seconds and makes your pictures instantly better. (I think Lightroom can do this automatically when importing the files, but I never used it so I'm not sure)

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I agree, post some examples of the issue you're facing.
    Also, you can try different creative styles on your camera like "Vivid" and adjust settings accordingly

Post processing (in LightRoom) is very easy to do, only takes a few minutes to do some basic stuff and you can get great results with it ;)

5. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    ok...im posting some pics....thank you all for helping.

First with Minolta MD 50mm 1.4 (f.2. 1/20) and the next two with Sigma 19mm

_DSC4062. _DSC4068. _DSC4072.

6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^Are these straight out of the camera Jpegs?
    If so can you please share what in-camera settings you're using?

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Everything seems okay tbh. Good contrast, saturation and sharpness. Your problem seems to be that the NEX has a far superior dynamic range to the Canon you used, which means the bright areas won't look as bright. What you can do besides post processing is using exposure compensation to +0.3 or +0.7 stops to make them brighter. Saturation already looks spot on. The Sony colors are arguably not the best, but without post processing you can't address this issue.

8. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    You see the city color.....omg....so BORING and dull....the sky is totally not blue and it is a sunny day here.

Here is one more with VIVID mode....but somehow i think it looks a little too yellow:
    DSC01830.

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I wouldn't call it 'dull', I would call it 'flat'. In cinematography, there's nothing better than a flat file to start with. Like I said, a flat file incorporates a much better dynamic range, and a sensor which produces flat files usually has a better high ISO performance. If you want a blue sky above the city, turn up the blue saturation in post. But the colors are well differentiated and contrast seems very good, I can't find anything wrong with this file (the city shot).

And I would avoid the 'vivid' setting. It makes colors look unnatural imho.

10. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    okay the first picture flower, is Minolta MD lens with shutter speed 1/25 sec and f stop was 2.0.
    Second photo was with sigma 19mm 1/15 shutter speed and f3.2
    third one city pic was with sigma 19mm f22 shutter 1/160 metering Center Weighted Average
    4th pic of the flower garden with 16-50mm SEL kit lens 1/60 shutter and f/4 metering mode pattern

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    1/25th of a second with a 50mm lens? 1/15th with a 19mm lens? You didn't take these shots hand held, right? If you did, that explains if they aren't sharp when viewing them bigger. You need a shutter speed of at least 1/150 to get sharp results out of a 50mm lens on a crop sensor body.

12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    What creative style are you shooting in and with what parameters (contrast, saturation and sharpness)?

IMHO the Minolta shot is a little flat as Poki said. I would except more "strong" colours from the Minolta (at least that's what I get from my MD 50 f/1.4 but on the other hand I always post process my photos to increase the colours).
    The one who used the Vivid style renders a little nicer colours IMO but to get the blue of the sky to pop you really need to apply some post processing...

And I agree with Poki's last comment ;)

13. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Thanks for everyone's help. Yes I shot those pic handheld. Its dark indoor and I didn't want to do high ISO BC of noise so I always do slow shutter speed. I guess that's why my pics all came out blurry every time I enlarge it. Ill try your method next time but with high ISO.

Nick, how do I find the parameters that you are talking about for thr photos? I doNT know where I can view that information.

Does anyone know how to do post processing easily by batches? Its so time consuming doing it one by one.

Thank you all so much!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TalkNEX mobile app

14. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
  15. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    On my Nex-5 its under "Brightness/Color", then "Creative Style", choose the style and then hit the "option" icon to adjust contrast, saturation and sharpness