Why I upgraded from the A7R2 to the A7R3

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Xterra, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Dan
    Why I upgraded from the A7R2 to the A7R3
    A7RII to A7RIII
    1. FAST! Startup, responsiveness, bursts, BETTER AF in even poor light (FASTER than the A7R2)
    2. Dual Card slot (I been waiting and longing for this since leaving the Canon 5DMk3) Simply for redundancy and also if a card fails (hope its not the card I write my RAW files to ; but at least I have the jpeg files :))
    3. GPS connectivity!!!! Finally Sony did what Olympus had done or what my clunky GPS tracker did on the Canon 5DMk3. Connect directly with my phone and write GPS data direct to its RAW files and jpeg files! Hurray. No more tracking seperate GPS log and later aligning it with the time stamp!!! Plus when its connected to the Sony App it sets the time of your destination country (time zone) :2thumbs:
    4. A BETTER more Gorgeous EVF!
    5. AF Joystick makes selecting the AF point much easier now!
    6. A BETTER Battery!!! HURRAY no more switching every day! or every half day!
    7. Hopefully better weather sealing (But during heavy rains I prefer to stay home and cozy anyway)
    8. I paid 5% less than RETAIL for my A7RIII

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    All good reasons along with huge improvements in video quality over base ISO, which is making me want one. But my A7rii is worth maybe £1400 on eBay if I'm lucky, and the cheapest A7rIII is £2800 so I think I'm gonna have to be patient!

3. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Yes, I figure if I only get £1000 trade in for my A7RII then I may as well keep it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Does the A7R3 or any of the newer Sony FE cameras have a small raw feature? I'm quite content with 24mp mainly because I'm a heavy handed shooter, but I want the new features like dual card slots and silent shutter. I'd rather shoot at a smaller raw file size and use the full resolution only when I need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Methinks you want the A7III. :)

6. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I do! :D

The A9 is overkill and I just don't need the resolution of the A7RIII. An A7III at an affordable sub $1600 price point would be perfect! Though I wonder if Sony would release such a camera and risk cannibalizing both A6500 and A7RIII sales?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    Dan
    I ship you the A7RIII for a flat £2600 from the US! PM me if you are intererested!

8. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    *repeats quietly to self* "...my r2 is not worse than it was before......my r2 is not worse than it was before......my r2 is not worse than it was before..."

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I suspect the A7iii will be the last new body to be rolled out just because of the cannibalizing of sales of higher models. Rumor is that the a7Siii is next to debut. The A7iii would definitely steal sales from both A7xiii models, plus the a6500. (IMO) There will be no reason to buy an a6500 once the A7iii is available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    [QUOTE="(IMO) There will be no reason to buy an a6500 once the A7iii is available.[/QUOTE]

But the 6500 has a built in flash! :dance:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    Dan
    THE ANSWER: Scuba Diving !!! the smaller a6500 and lens setup is THE PERFECT Underwater SETUP! a6500 AND Zeiss Touit 50mm Macro... PERFECT for UNDERWATER!!! Plus I use the a6500 just for that PLUS the 70-200 / f2.8 Plus 2X Teleconverter gets me NOW 600mm!!!! (Dear I say Solar Eclipse or Moon???)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    That photo of the car impaled on a rock! :eek-30:

• Like Like x 1
  13. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Not sure I agree it will wipe out the A6500, but it might lead to a somewhat lower price. But every camera maker has an APS-C body, if only as a gateway drug camera, and the lenses are a bit more affordable, and size is still a thing with some people as has been mentioned. I don't think it would affect the A7Siii that much either. We don't know its specs yet but the current model is very much targeted at video.

As to the effect on the A7RIII a lot would depend on how they price it. I like to think there are still a lot of people like me who are either not willing or able to shell out $3200 for a camera body, or don't want to deal with the extra-resolution for whatever reasons. I know they still sell all of the lower-priced A7X models but surely that will not be forever, and the new models are meant to replace the older ones at some point. At least I think they are. I would think Sony marketing is going to force some consolidation of the product line-up at some point. I guess time will tell.

Now, where did I put that lottery ticket?

• Like Like x 1
  14. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    *whispers in Tipton's ear* "... it's no good, it's rubbish, must have an A7R3, sell it for whatever bdbits will give you for it while you can still get something for it..."

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Of course... that is Sony master plan. They are the world's leading image sensor so it makes sense that they want to sell cameras with a lot of image sensor in them. I suspect the Sony A7iii to move many Sony APSC users to FF. I am actually surprised there are so many a6700 rumors because I would be surprised if Sony wanted to muddy the waters. I somehow doubt Sony will be too worried about cannibalising A9/A7riii sales if it can successfully cannibalise 6Dii/5Div sales!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I'm so glad I don't have worries such as this thread has in it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I am not worried. A little extra resolution or DR would be nice in some situations, but the A7ii is still a lot of camera for me. I do not use half the technology built into it, really.

It is interesting to watch my future used camera body purchases materialize, though, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I'm not a pro. I don't sell photos. It's just a hobby for me. My A7RII is more camera than I should ever need; actually way more. But I do understand the attraction to "new, bigger, and better". Good luck with your new camera.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    To me it is the overall improvement in video quality that really makes the A7riii shine. Here is a video centric review of the A7riii which I think is right on the mark. (although reading it may seriously damage your wealth.)

Sony A7R III review - the BBC fixed Sony's colour! - EOSHD

Really the A7riii is probably the first no compromise hybrid camera for me (and as it will let me sell my M43 stuff I use for video, the upgrade price wasnt too bad.)

• Informative Informative x 3
  20. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I forgot to mention: the 6500 still has PlayMemories apps!

And the crop sensor E mount lenses are a lot more portable than the honking big FE lenses, for the most part.

• Agree Agree x 1