Why I love Compact Cameras

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by davect01, Jan 4, 2014.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Just love the portability.

What about Compacts/NEX's make you love them?
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    Originally I loved it because it was a cheap alternative to DSLR for someone wanting to get into photography, now I love it because it's so great with legacy glass!
    Just got my OM adaptor ring today for my 50mm f-1.8 - OMG I LOVE IT!!

My first subject (had the lens on for about 10 mins so far!)... Loving the shallow DoF!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Because I can stick it and couple of lenses into my tank bag and ride to places like this:

Jungo Road.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

or carry it with my aging legs up into the mountains to places like this:

Bristlecone 5.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 8
  4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    What I love about my NEX-5N, and the 5 series in general, is that it can fit in your pocket if you really want, but you can expand it all the way up until it is essentially a mini-DSLR-like body. The big grip and modular accessory port are simply strokes of genius.
  5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    I'll be honest: portability was NOT my overriding priority, getting into the NEX line.

But, hey: I'll take it!! :biggrin:
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I love that it is small, but still gives me performance of a larger system.

• Like Like x 2
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I went mirrorless for portability and stayed there because focussing is so much more accurate than with DSLRs. I went from µ4/3 to NEX because I didn't like the noise in the GH2 files and the NEX-6 gave me smooth files. And now I'm back to full-frame albeit with tiny lenses like the Olympus 21/3.5 and Voigtländer 40/1.4. With mirrorless I'm a happier amateur-photographer than I've been for a long time, but it's frustrating that we don't have a high-quality E-mount telezoom (no, the SEL-55210 doesn't cut it for me).
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Shutterdad

Shutterdad TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    I purchased a compact camera system to use primarily for traveling. Our travels usually take us to South Florida with long stays at Disney World and other parks.

I started out taking a DSLR and bag with several lenses. Nowadays, I will carry an extra battery, memory card, and gallon sized Ziplock bag for protection on water rides.

These newer cameras allow me to not skip a beat and capture the memories without the added weight. I love it!!!
  9. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    1. APS-C capability in an innocuous looking camera.
    2. Small enough that I will want to take with me when out exploring.
    3. it's ability to use adapted lenses.
    (4. tilty screen for creative composition, 5. EVF for the harsh AZ sunlight)

• Like Like x 2
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Some great reasons.
  11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    1) I went for Nex cause I loved portability. The ability to carry my camera with me ALL the time.

But, I don't love compact-ness per se...
    Personally I find that sometimes compact-ness has its drawbacks. For example it sacrifices other important things like good grip, handling/balancing heavier lenses (not everyone uses pancakes :D ) - As a matter of fact that's one of the reasons I "hated" my 1st gen 5 after some time and felt the need to upgrade to something with a better grip (Nex-6) - cause it lacked good grip.

2) I went with Nex cause there's just something magical sticking an old MF legacy lens on a newer fully electronic/fully loaded with gadgets camera body :)
  12. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    I've noticed recently some vignetting at max zoom on my SEL55210 - which is poor to say the least! I need to do a few more tests to work out what is going on!
  13. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    Image quality for the size.

I never used a DSLR because I knew I wouldn't carry it with me. I don't really need pocket size as I almost always carry a bag with me but the weight would have been annoying. Now I just have my camera with me almost everywhere, so even when cutting through a mall on my way to work I can grab an interesting shot.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    There are essentially two things I love about NEX:

1. Weight. Just got to shoot with a D7000 yesterday, and never want to do so again. Switched back to my NEX-7 instantly, the weight is just too much to shoot comfortably for multiple hours.

2. High-end APS-C lenses. Usually, for most traditional systems, you need to buy full frame lenses to get the high-end ones, which again is a stupid compromise on prize, size and often the offered focal lengths. Not so with NEX - the Sony Zeiss lenses are beautiful, just as the Touits.
  15. przemot

przemot New to TalkEmount

Nov 23, 2013
    For over 5 years I was using DSLR Canon 450d and then 40d with Canon 18-55mm kit, Canon 55-250mm, and Canon 50mm also Tamron 17-50mm with stabilization, and Yongnuo flash. I was very happy with the photo quality but always with a big bag and weight. Even when I was taking only the C40 and Tamron. Now I own nex6 with 16-50mm and hvl-f43m and I am much more happier. Small sizes and large capabilities. And it has great video features, which helps me to register some great family moments.

Xperia Acro S
  16. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    There are many things I like about the 5R, but my original intent was to get an affordable ILC with great low light handling. It didn't disappoint.

17. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    I started photography more seriously with a Canon G11 followed by a G12.
    The iq was fantastic compared to my old 99€ compact.
    After visiting a photo academy I wanted more...
    Than Ebay brought the NEX-5N with 1855 and 55210 bundle in my house and I really love it cause I knew I wouldn't take a camera with me that needs more space in my backpack.
    Second thing is that there aren't to much buttons on it and automatic works great, which is important for my wife when she takes shots.

I also found this great community and knew that E-Mount to stay for my near future and I stick with it while upgrading to a 5T around Xmas...
  18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Just loving all the stories of how we got to where we are.
  19. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Great thread and read. I've been shooting Nikons since 1969 when I started taking photographs at the ripe old age of 12 years old. I've always had photography as a hobby for the forty plus years since then, until five years ago - when I took my "hobby" and started making money by shooting homes for high-end real estate listings (you know, the homes you see in brochures, magazines, etc..) on a part-time basis. I have a ton (almost literally!) of Nikon film & digital bodies (16 or so film bodies and a half dozen digital?) and "another ton" or some awesome Nikkor pro-level lenses. But - since it is a "ton of stuff" - I wanted something smaller, something I could take with me most of the time - and something that didn't want to sacrifice image quality - and even better - perhaps use some of my older Nikkor 35mm format lenses…

So - I looked at all the options - Olympus, Fuji, Samsung, Nikon 1, blah, blah… And settled on the NEX 6. Found out I love it (and it loved me ;) ).. So, I wanted more - so went to the NEX 7… And I loved it "more"… This Christmas - my bride of many years gave me a Sony A7R - probably the single best present I've ever gotten, to be honest?

What I love is the ability to maintain IQ, use my legacy lenses - and the Sony A7R is like some of my Nikon DSLRs - but "on steroids" in a small lightweight package. While I also considered a Nikon Df - it just wasn't what I wanted for numerous reasons (and yes - it does remind me of my F3HPs, FAs, FEs, FMs, etc…) - but, I don't think Nikon got it right with the Df (my opinion only).

The one problem I do have is I still take the Nikon DSLRs to my commercial shoots - as they "expect" a "Pro Camera/equipment" to be a big and heavy bag full of gear… So, I use the NEX 7 and A7R for my personal photography, while the NEX 6 my wife actually enjoys, so I'll keep that as well. And yes - I take at least one of them whenever I'm out-and-about - and even have one in my car when I go on commercial shoots...

That's my story - and I'm sticking to it".. ;)

- John
    • Like Like x 3
  20. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I still find it sad that it is expected that you have big heavy equipment for proffessional work. Not unexpected, but sad.
    • Like Like x 1