Why doesn't Sony offer silent shutter on the A7 II?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JonathanF2, Oct 5, 2017.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I wish the A7 II had a silent shutter mode. Olympus gave the E-M1 mark I a silent shutter after several firmware updates! I'm just wondering if it's a hardware issue or perhaps a marketing decision not to include it? Does anyone else want it on the A7 II? o_O I don't really need an A7R/A7S II or A9 just for this one feature!

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    My guess is that the A7II doesn't have the processing power to enable a silent shutter on a full frame sensor. It's significantly easier on the ยต4/3 sensor, which is working with only 1/4 the amount of information.

3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    So it's a mechanical thing, not a software thing?

4. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    What I'm trying to understand is if the camera can record video, shouldn't the silent shutter work in a similar fashion merely recording that image without triggering the shutter? I'd be happy with even just a single shot option and not necessarily shooting in burst mode.

5. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I'll admit to being ignorant as to how a mirrorless shutter actually works, but I'd like it to be a little quieter, if not silent, too.

6. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Silent shutter is an all electronic shutter and I believe has to be "built-into" the sensor. On my NEX-7 I have Electronic first curtain shutter, my A7rii adds the second curtain electronically which provides a silent shutter. I've found it useful when using it at my daughter's graduation ceremony, a classical musical performance and a WWii Veteran's speech. It does however have limitations you should be aware of. Here is a good article on it with links into more detail.

Limitations of the electronic shutter function - phillipreeve.net

I should note that the new A9 sensor in full electronic shutter mode (silent mode) greatly reduces many of these limitations and quirks in previous electronic shutters. A reason some people are so excited about the camera.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The maximum video frame size on the A7II is 1920 x 1080, or ~2MP. It takes a lot less processing power to render a frame of video than it does a 6000 x 4000 (24MP) still frame. But if a 2MP shot will suffice, you can always shoot a short burst of (silent) video and extract a frame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. aKilter

aKilter New to TalkEmount

Feb 20, 2017
    Hi Jonathan! Completely unrelated, but do you still shoot with m43? I think some of your best work was with the Olympus 8mm f/1.8 lens. It really seemed to suit your eye.

I recently picked up a used D750(seems to be free of the shutter issue) and must admit, I like the easy manipulation of DOF and the ability to crop without losing much, if any, image quality. I pretty much only shoot primes now, and that will certainly be the case with the D750; so weight won't be an issue.

I do really like my PEN-F and my venerable E-M10 though. This, along with some very nice glass, and I'm not leaving m43 anytime soon. Horses for courses, I guess.

Sorry for the slight hijack, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

9. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Yeah, I'm shooting M43, Sony and Nikon. I like them all for different reason, but I really should downsize!

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    The A9 actually hits a lot of checks for me, except on price! I got my A7 II for dirt cheap in comparison and the only thing I need from the A9 is the silent shutter and dual card slots.

11. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Nobody knows for certain what will be in the A7iii or when it will come, but perhaps silent shutter will make it. Or not, who knows. I would like silent shutter, too, but I only managed to grab an A7ii at a greatly reduced price. I suspect the A7iii at intro will be more than I am willing to spend. Maybe when the A7Riii comes along I can pick up an A7Rii at a greatly reduced price. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I don't know about other models but the sound of the NEX7 shutter is terrible, very loud.
    I'm especially reminded whenever I might decide to use the 3 shot 'bracket exposure' feature.

13. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I'll put up with the noise on both mine. They aren't as bad as a DSLR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Part of the reason I still keep an M43 kit around is due to the silent shutter. I shoot theater gigs every once in awhile and M43 is my go-to kit for that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Silent sure was nice.
    Now I cough to hide the shutter.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Do they the call the ambulance when you shoot high speed, continuous? :)

• Funny Funny x 6
  17. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I think the original A7 was louder than the mark II!

18. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Yes it was.
    That thing roared.

19. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    The Fuji X-E2 also acquired a silent shutter via firmware upgrade, quite a while after it was first released. Sony doing that sounds a bit un-Sony like though.

20. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's funny ... and a useful tip!