Why Doesn’t Sony Make Cheap Lenses, f/2.8 Zooms, or Super Telephotos?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WestOkid, Nov 11, 2015.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    IMO...this might be pretty much a hypothetical sort of discussion as I doubt any of us really have insight to the total picture of Sony's corporate strategy, and how they really fit / coexist in the overall set of camera companies / manufacturers.
    With that as a qualifier, and speaking only for myself, I will make the following observations about Sony based upon my personal experiences, and also not being any sort of Sony fan-boy:

1) I have and will always sing Sony's praises for having introduced the mirrorless camera design which led to adapters allowing legacy lenses (my entire inventory of manual Canon FDn lenses from the 80's) being able to spring back to life overnight;
    2) Sony prices often / usually seem outrageously high;
    3) Sony product support seems poor...and comes under fire from a wide number of users, not just me;
    4) Product planning / rapid iterative model releases seem like a 'camera-de-jour' approach to me as opposed to solid strategic planning;

Given the above, I personally have trouble buying the article author's conviction that Sony has some super precision / strategic plan as he seems to have laid it out.....just my 2 cents...others mileage may vary.
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Well, it's interesting speculation, both on his and his commenter's part. But in the end we still don't have any Sony-native f/2.8 zooms, and there are certainly those who feel that they need them before they can switch to using Sony FF cameras. To be plain, I feel zero need for one myself. Between the subjects I shoot and the high-ISO sensor that Sony used in the A7, f/4 is perfectly suitable 99.9% of the time. For me.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    I think of a few folks that don't make cheap lenses (Fuji, Zeiss and Leica come to mind). Even Leica's more affordable lenses made by Panasonic are still not cheap by any means. Now, having said that I think it would be great of Sony offered a better than the average kit zoom like Fuji with their 18-55.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Pretty much my thought too. Nice article :)
  6. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Easy answer: Sony A7 started with the slogan "best FF IQ in the smallest camera". That best IQ can only be achieved with very good lenses, and it comes at a price. If they had started with a line of more affordable lenses (like Nikon's recent f1.8 G line up), would people have moved in such large numbers? No really, the combination of cheap FF can already be found in other brands...

So you entice people with "small and top quality FF camera" plus "top quality lenses", and all of a sudden you have a success story. Later on, 2 years down the road, when more people want to join but complain about the lack of f2.8 zooms and cheaper lenses, what do you do? You announce that f2.8 zooms are in the plan; and you postpone the cheaper lenses, because you don't need those lenses to sell more cameras, and you still have not finished not even one of the existing lens lines...
    • Agree Agree x 1