1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why do I have a white band on bottom of images in LR

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by cbutton, Apr 13, 2014.

1. cbutton

cbutton TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 30, 2013
    Recently I've been seeing a white band at the lower left had edge of some images taken at less than 50mm. See the image I've attached. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the NEX 6's automatic adjustments or how LR 5 converts the ARW files. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

%25C2%25A9ChrisButton-08871.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I can't see any image.

3. photoluminaire

photoluminaire TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Check the jpgs straight from the camera. Could be a shutter problem. Does it happen more so at faster shutter speeds like 1/2000th?

4. cbutton

Oct 30, 2013
    Sorry I didn't get the image posted on the initial posting.

The shutter speed of this image was 1/125th (@ f5.0). Lens was SEL 16-70Z. I've seen this white stripe in images taken with my SEL 50 1.8. Thus I don't think its a lens issue.

Thanks for your input.

5. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    take one portrait style and see if the band moves to portrait or stays landscape.

post results here, it will help me diagnose the problem :p

6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It looks like there has been some rotation or distortion correction done to the image in Lightroom. Are you sure that you don't have some automatic preset enabled that is performing either of those adjustments?

7. cbutton

Oct 30, 2013
    Woodworks, Yes this image was processed with a lens profile correction preset. However, I have several images that were not imported into LR using that preset that also have the white band. Thanks for your help.

8. cbutton

Oct 30, 2013
    Mathieu, Yes the white band moves accordingly when shooting portrait. (I'm at work right now so I can't post examples.) Thanks for your help.

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The white band has a very sharp border with the picture so that doesn't look like a shutter issue, in that case I would expect a more gradual transition. Could you put up a raw file for download (at DropBox or so) with this problem?

10. cbutton

Oct 30, 2013
    I will do this evening. Thanks for your help.

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't think this has anything to do with a lens profile. Given the slanted, hard edge, I suspect some image rotation and cropping is going on here. Did you perhaps sync settings in Lightroom with some other (rotated) image? What happens if you just press the Reset button on that image?

12. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    One more question: have you tried opening the file in anything other than Lightroom?

13. cbutton

Oct 30, 2013
    WoodWorks, I downloaded Fast Stone Viewer and looked at some of the images right from the SD card. There were no white bands. Then I went back into LR and checked the history on as many of the affected images as I could remember. They were all imported with using a Lens Profile preset. When I went to the Develop Module, Lens Correction section under the Manual tab several of the sliders were moved, including rotate and vertical. For the first image I looked at I moved the rotate slider back (it was at 2.6) which resulted in a straight horizontal white band. By sliding the horizontal slider back to zero, the white band disappeared. So I guess my initial question has been answered. Thanks to all who helped.

• Like Like x 1
  14. photoluminaire

photoluminaire TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Yeah, that's not shutter bounce, I couldn't see the image before.