1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why did you get a NEX?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Jaf-Photo, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    This could be an interesting question to answer.

Why did you choose a NEX as your photographic tool?

I am sure there may be many different answers but perhaps many similar ones too.

I have two reasons:
    1. The first is that I got the image quality of a higher end DSLR in a much smaller package.
    2. The second one is that I saw a lot of people taking photos using NEX-5/7:s with legacy lenses and getting a near medium format look to their pictures. So I ditched my plans to start using a Hasselblad - with all the hassle of loading, developing and scanning film - to get a quick and easy digital NEX-7.

What are your reasons?

2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I got my NEX because I inherited a Canon IVSb from my father, and the idea of using the LTM lenses in the digital age appealed to me. Tried several of the m4/3 cameras, and just didn't like them. The Sony was the first mirrorless I was happy with. Wanted the NEX-7, but the floods at the factory kept me from getting one before going on a vacation, so I "settled" for the 5n.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, it was 2010, I was drunk, the world was going to perish in two years ...

4. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I wanted a lightweight set of gear that was capable of producing pictures of sufficient quality that I could sell through photo agencies like Alamy. I first bought into the Fuji X system, and whilst the X100 is very good after numerous firmware updates, the X Pro 1 has been, and is, a big disappointment. Mainly due to Adobe not delivering a good enough RAW conversion process.

Whilst Fuji/Adobe sort things out, the NEX was a logical stand in. Since buying my 5N and Sigma 19 and 30 lenses, I have gone on to extend the system with an NEX 6 and Zeiss 24.

The NEX is now my main system. I use the Fuji X Pro 1 only occasionally for the odd job that it is well suited to. I find the NEX to be a good, all round camera and I don't see myself changing any time soon!

Thats my reason for using NEX.

5. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    After a couple of forays in to and out of m4/3s I decided to specialize my kit a bit more. Canon DSLR for sports/action. Fuji X10 for take-anywhere snaps. NEX-5N for portraits and low light stuff around the house. I seem to prefer this to having an E-M5 and a bunch of lenses. I think the gear-geek in me just likes playing with different cameras. Sort of like the male genetic imperative. (I know; not really like that)

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Okay, second try. Back in early 2010, there weren't nearly as many choices as today. I didn't like the design of the Samsung NX series. And mFT? Well, I tested a PEN E-P1, which was so damn laggy with such an unlogical menu layout (at least to me) that I was drawn away from this system at that time. Other options? There were non.

So I bit the sour Apple and bought into a camera system that only consisted of two cameras that didn't offer any buttons, any customization (before the firmware updates, the first gen NEX-5 was practically useless) and only three lenses (the 16mm and 18-55mm which I bought it with as well as the older 18-200mm) - and with a nice lens roadmap including Zeiss and G lenses. But I was hoping that Sony gets more serious about this system, and with the introduction of the NEX-7 and the 24mm CZ I was just soo happy that I went with the NEX system.

7. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    I wanted a small interchangeable lens camera that I could take with me on a trip in July. I got a NEX-F3 in January because it was cheap and seemed like it was basically a compact DSLR, rather than a compact camera like many others I had looked at. I had desired to get a similar camera for a year or two beforehand but couldn't afford it (I wanted to start photography with an A77 at one point!).
    I got my NEX-7 because A) I desired it for a long time and B) Because it cost the same as my F3

8. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    I like wildlife photography. I hike a lot and haul my dslr with a 100-400L lens. But so many times there was also great landscapes shots to be had. But most times I was to lazy and would not change lens therefore not getting the shot. The nex now covers that and is also what I call my "tourist lens" as we do a lot of traveliing. That's it.

9. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    1. APS-C sensor in a small package
    2. Focus Peaking for MF lenses
    3. Very comfortable to hold (NEX6/7)

These are the top 3 reason why I stuck with the NEX :D

10. earlyadapter

earlyadapter New to TalkEmount

Mar 29, 2013
    1. I had the Olympus Pen FT in the 70's, and took that on a round-world trip (lasted 3 years....). Loved it to bits, with a big zoom on when needed (like Base Camp). Started from scratch when I got 'home'.
    2. Didn't want to get into the humungous DSLRs.
    3. NEX was simply the first digital camera to re-ignite my interest in taking pictures, that wouldn't swamp me with size, complexity or budget.

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    1. Small size
    2. ASP-C sized sensor
    3. Small sensor to lens mount distance
    4. Cheap
    5. Usable kit zoom

Now that great peaking system was very pleasant surprise but Nex flash system not.

12. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I was looking at full-frame DSLRs then I got very heavily swayed by a user review from a longtime enthusiast who talked about being able to focus more accurately with a live view EVF. This and the notion of being able to adapt all kinds of legacy lenses, and the fact that the NEX-7 body costs significantly less than any full-frame DSLR body, was all too much for me to resist.

I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. For cataloging and selling my glass art, NEX's live view seems ideal. For landscapes, I also find the NEX is very well suited to my contemplative shooting style. I usually move slowly enough, I don't really miss anything about the DSLR.

13. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I started adapting lenses on micro 4/3. NEX has excellent APS-C sensor in compact body, can adapt all the legacy lenses I have, also sports focus peaking, I was sold.

Like my first 5N so much, recently I got a second one used.

I'm also glad there're more and more high quality native lenses. Even though I use mainly MF, I could not help bought the Sigma pair.

For me, NEX is perfect for travel/hiking. Almost all my close-up/macros are taken with NEX now.

14. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Got swept up in the X100 hype, but after handling it I wasn't so impressed (and became even more reluctant to drop money on a fixed-lens camera). So I took a look at competing products and saw the NEX-7. Large sensor, interchangeable lenses, beautiful build (if you're not hung up on facsimiles of film cameras, like Fuji X and OMD). And IQ that challenges my SLR, all in a package I could lift with a pinky finger. Sold.

15. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I was curious to see what my Minolta legacy glass would do on an APS-C camera, and Sony looked like the best candidate besides my µ4/3 gear. Meanwhile I've gotten to grips with the NEX-6 and I'm slowly but surely selling off the µ4/3 lenses. The turning point was the replacement of the Panasonic 7-14mm by the Sony 10-18mm after I learned that you have to switch off the AF assist light to get decent low-light AF performance. And by the way, I get a lot more use out of the Minolta lenses on the NEX-6 than I got with the Panasonic GH2, mainly because of the NEX's fantastic peaking feature and electronic first shutter curtain which prevents vibration especially with somewhat longer lenses. YMMV :)

16. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Thanks, all!

I think I see a pattern here:
    Small size
    Big sensor
    Reasonable price
    Legacy lenses

Obviously, Sony got it right with the NEX-series. My only gripe is actually the square shape. I find it ergonomically reproachful. Almost any other camera is more comfortable to hold and use.

17. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    You might like the Hasselblad Lunar then (just kidding)

18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I was a powerzoomer looking to upgrade. At that point I was simply looking for another power zoom.

Walked by a display and played with the original 3 and 5. The price was only $100.00 more than the camera I was shopping.

Loved it and bought it.

19. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Yeah, well, I 'm quite handy with my whittling, so I might just carve me one of those wooden handles...

20. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Don't forget light weight and the fact that you can mount almost any lens on it :)

As for ergonomics, I somewhat agree. I've gotten a Gariz half-case for my 7 and it really improves the grip. It protects the vulnerable bottom plate from wear as well.