1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why buy the Sigma 19mm

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Jethro10, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    Hi,
    Still kinda new to this, but after a bit of reading, I'm lost as to why the Sigma 19mm exists.
    It seems marginally sharper (by the pics I see) and faster (although no OSS) than a kit 16-50 18-55 lens but is that enough?

I could imagine a 15mm, or a bit less perhaps.

what uses do you put this lens to (and why) that justifies it's place in your bag?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    I don't have it anymore, but when I did, the single biggest factor was price. I bought the Sigma "pair" that B&H was selling for $199. Reviews and samples showed these lenses to be very sharp and my own limited experience that was borne out. For the $, hard to beat a fairly fast, sharp lens for $100. I have the 16-50 and it is an estimable kit lens with plenty of utility, especially as a general, walking around lens. But there is something about the look and feel of a prime lens, especially with a wider aperture that you cannot get with the 16-50, in my opinion.

Ultimately, I "traded" (up, in my view) to a couple Zeiss primes and the even wider aperture was worth it to me. Ultimately, these things are "tools" and what you use and why will be governed by what/how you shoot and your budget.

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    It's a fantastic wide angle prime in its own right and that in itself is enough for many people. Aside from that, for me who has dumped the kit lens, only can be bothered by the weight/bulk of a superzoom when travelling, and sometimes need wide-but-compact, it makes perfect sense.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I too do not have either of the stock zooms.

Primes exist so that you have a much smaller lens.

5. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I don't have the 16-50 but I have the 18-55. Compared to latter kit lens, the Sigma is sharper and has better colour and contrast. The 18-55 does not have sufficient image quality for me, except perhaps stopped down at the longer end.

With the 19/2.8 I take a lot of images I wouldn't bother taking with the kit lens, because they wouldn't come out nice with the kit. For price vs performance, the Sigma is the best wide angle option for the NEX, I think.

6. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    I have both of the kit zooms, but don't use either - I'm just not happy with the results. I bought the Sigma 19, 30, and 60, and like them a lot.

7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have the 18-55 kit - which is supposed to be slightly better than 16-50. And both Sigmas.

The kit is acceptably sharp stopped down to around f7.1-8, soft wide open. Sigma 19 is sharp from wide open, very sharp stopped down to about f4.

Kit has OSS, Sigma can be opened to f2.8, in low light this could mean a wash, but Sigma is going to be sharper wide open.

Sigma is significantly smaller.

The two advantages that the kit lens has are (1) you can zoom (d'uh!) and (2) OSS makes it a much better lens for video (in OK light).

8. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I also have the 19, 30 and 60 Sigs. Excellent trio.

9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, the kit zoom is not even close to the Sigma lenses in terms of resolution and contrast (i.e. 'sharpness').

"I could imagine a 15mm, or a bit less perhaps." (from the opening post) -- This would cost quite a bit more than the 100 - 200 Sigma is asking for. Ever wondered why the Touit 12mm f/2.8 is €1.099? Other high quality lenses with this focal length / aperture aren't that much cheaper.

10. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    Explains a lot more.

Looking at this with more knowledge now, I see that contrast and richness, saturation etc. are type of things that are improved, not just (as I originally thought), sharpness.

For the price, worth a punt to experiment.

Jeff

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That is the beauty. $100ish for a great lens is hard to pass up.

I had given myself to all MF, as the current lineup included lenses too expensive for me or sub par. I heard about the 19mm/30mm and immediatly got excited. Got it and just love it.

12. Hin Man

Hin Man TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    I own the older Sigma 30mm. I like it so much that I just order the older non-Art Sigma 19mm and it is on the way from Adorama. The listing for the older 19mm in Adorama no longer includes the lens hood.

I purchased this lens hood to go with the 30mm and though it adds bulk to the lens, it actually beautifies the 30mm prime and adds protection to the lens front.

It is easier to justify the 19mm as one can't easily find an older prime in similar focal length. Next I will think of the 60mm but it is harder to justify as I have the SEL 50mm. I wish the Sigma 60mm is a macro lens of some sort and it will be easier to justify.

Cheers,
    Hin

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey Hin, welcome to the forum. :)

14. tominabox1

tominabox1 TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 26, 2013
    What is the difference between the EX and the regular lens besides the looks?

15. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nothing. The newer lenses have a better build quality for a much higher price, but optically, they are the same.

16. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    $100 or so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I too have been considering the 60mm, but have a great, no awesome, 45mm Rokkor 2.0. Not sure if I would get any use out of it.

18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That's about it. Also due to the smooth barrel it seems harder to manually focus.

19. tominabox1

tominabox1 TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 26, 2013
    Where is everybody finding this lens for $100?

20. Hin Man

Hin Man TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    I bought my new copy two days ago from Adorama for $125.00 with free shipping. It is on its way but the Adorama listing don't include the lens hood. When I check again, Adorama no longer has it. It is very likely that this older version is discontinued. I still see a bunch listed as new in eBay.

There was a promotional deal for $200 for the combo of 19 and 30 right before the new version in Art series came out. Very likely the $100 is referred as part of the old deal that some of us miss.

Cheers,
    Hin