1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

why a NEX system?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by BevK, Sep 3, 2011.

1. BevK

BevK New to TalkEmount

Sep 3, 2011
    I am intrigued by the Sony NEX system cameras, and most recently purchased a MFT camera for an upcoming trip as a small alternative to my Nikon DSLR system. I did not realize that a NEX forum existed when I finally chose the MFT camera (Panny G3K). I would like to hear from dedicated NEX users what they like about this system of cameras, why they chose a NEX over all the other growing possibilities out there. Also interested in any that moved form a MFT system to a NEX, and why. I like my G3, but of course nothing is carved in stone, and I am interested in learning more about what is out there.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I own two Olympus m4/3 cameras and have several lenses for that mount. I purchased a gently used NEX-3 a while ago because I didn't like the high ISO results from my m4/3 cameras and the APS-C sensors in the NEX are better for that. So far I haven't been as impressed with the lens sharpness and contrast of the Sony lenses, but the ISO performance is indeed better and the NEX-3 with firmware update is easier to use with MF lenses thanks to focus peaking.

If the NEX-7 and the 50mm f/1.8 OSS turn out to be as good as expected then I will possibly be selling my m4/3 gear. I actually cancelled my pre-order for the Olympus 45mm 1.8 lens after the NEX-7 and 50mm OSS were announced because I didn't want to invest more in m4/3 if I ultimately decide to sell that gear.

If, however, the NEX-7 and 50mm OSS fail to live up to the hype then I will sell/return then and invest more in the m4/3 system.

3. BevK

BevK New to TalkEmount

Sep 3, 2011

Thanks ... that is helpful. I will check the specs on the NEX-7, and the reviews once it comes out.

4. neodraig

neodraig TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    The 3 main reasons that had me choosing the NEX system over the M4/3 system:

- 1.5 crop factor: I've got a Nokton 35mm 1.4 wich is my main lens and gives me great results. On the NEX it's acting roughly like a 50mm lens wich is very versatile, on a M4/3 it would act like a 70mm wich is too long. It also gives a better depth of field rendering for blurred background.

- ISO handling: especially now with the NEX-5N, you've got the best camera for handling high ISO, which is great as I don't like using the flash (never used it on my NEX).

- Tiny body with tilting screen: great to take your camera everywhere and taking pictures unnoticed.

What I miss is the great lenses you can find on the M4/3 system but I must say that I'm really happy with my NEX-Nokton combo.

5. ExNewt

ExNewt New to TalkEmount

Dec 31, 2011
    There's a million comments to make, so I'll distill mine down.
    I wanted a mirrorless camera (NEX, Micro 4/3, Nikon etc.) and when I looked a what the cameras could do, I chose the NEX5N based primarily on (no order)
    1) low light performance
    2) size
    3) resolution
    4) video quality
    5) articulating screen
    6) image stabilization performance (for example, Olympus M4/3 seems to have the advantage of image stabilization in the camera body, but reverts to "software stabilization" when shooting video)

6. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    My NEX 3 replaced a pentax DSLR,......it was half the price, half the weight, half the size, twice the pixels and takes all of my Canon FD and pentax lenses by means of cheap adaptors from ebay......These are the basic 'likes' but there are others too....

......I have been delighted with it and make MUCH better images more often than with a DSLR.

7. Bobcat

Bobcat TalkEmount Rookie

I sold my m4/3 kit (GH1 and some good lenses) after shooting alongside FF. The amount of detail lost on the m4/3 sensor - especially in foliage and leaves - really bugged me. I did get some great images from that kit, but I did not especially like it for very detailed landscapes. Since it was supposed to mainly be my hiking kit, it really defeated the purpose. I sold it, and now I'm learning NEX and am liking what I see about how it captures fine detail.

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    One main point besides everything mentioned above is the future proofness. Now with the NEX-7, a 24mm Zeiss lens, a pro ("G") grade standard Zoom and another Zeiss lens in the lane for 2012 the NEX system seems to at least have the ability to be much more professional than m4/3. Don't get me wrong - the NEX-3 and NEX-5 are wonderful cameras (I shoot a 5 myself), but just to have the ability to upgrade sometimes without having to make a complete system switch is a great feeling.

9. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    I like the fact Sony has a lot of technical ability making sensors, the variety of lenses via adapters and the size. Years ago when I started it was with my father's big form factor camera and I quickly grew tired of hauling it everywhere I wanted to perhaps shoot a pic, and moved on to smaller cameras ( Kodak Brownie if you are as old as I) . The NEX is as big of a camera as I care to own, any bigger and it will stay home.

10. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I've read a few reviews about the nex-7 and I have to say I'm happy to stick with my nex-5n. The only advantage I see is the inbuilt EVF but that's not a deal breaker. The handling of can be a problem as the top right rotating control can, and does, accidentally moved without the user knowing resulting in over or under exposed photos. Plus the extra MP's are not really an advantage. Yes you get a bit more resolution, but you pay with extra noise at higher ISO levels. The 5n is probably the one to suit most users with 16mp's. What will make the 7 more desirable will be the next update to it (7n?) after Sony has learned what works, and doesn't, in the hands of the first generation users. Look at the nex-5 to see what I mean.

11. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin

Yeah if you have a 5n I don't really think it's worth upgrading to the 7. However, to me the ISO performance is so little difference it doesn't bother me. Though I'm not a pixel peeping tom lol I'm new to the NEX system and even though I knew about it while I was looking for a mirrorless camera to replace my nikon d7000 I overlooked the NEX system until I saw the NEX-7 which seems to have everything I want in a compact system. Hopefully I'll be happy with the 7.

12. hisel

hisel New to TalkEmount

Dec 14, 2011
    Yes. Me too, really cannot wait for nex 7

13. Jermonic

Jermonic New to TalkEmount

Jan 15, 2012
    BevK:

I started out on the Sony Nex-5 in this mirrorless universe, but decided to sell it off, in order to get what turned out to be the same G3 you've bought.

Where the Nex-5 is good:
    - Slightly more dynamic range. In real life, not a big deal.
    - Real liveview screen (!). So, what you see on the LCD, is actually what the image is going to look like.

Where the G3 is good:
    - Nice selection of lenses, as opposed to the Nex system. This was the diciding factor for me in switching to the m4/3 system. I thought adapted lenses would do it for me, but it certainly wasn't for me. Find out if you can live with the very limited selection in the Nex family.
    - Noise-reduction can be controlled as you wish.
    - Wonderful sensor. Really no difference between this and nex up till at least iso 1600, the high-iso advantage of the nex-system is certainly not a huge factor anymore.
    - Good external controls.

14. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I think the new range of nex, interchangeable lens cameras have changed the art of photography, being a more compact body, discreet, and better high ISO, video quality, I am very happy with my nex5n

15. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    I think an NEX-6 would be nice, with a 16 megapixel sensor like the 5N, a moved video button and a lock all settings button to avoid accidental activations ( everything is so close to one's thumb!) AND, of course a lower price, say $895.

16. Bobcat

Bobcat TalkEmount Rookie

I like the "lock all settings" idea. I took some nice photos of friends this weekend only to realize I had somehow set ISO to 12500. :-( BAH.

17. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    woow that sounds very interesting

18. Erik Olaerts

Erik Olaerts New to TalkEmount

Feb 23, 2012
    Leuven Belgium
    Yes, The NEX 5N is the best so far for low light / high ISO !
    I'm so very happy with my new gear! (as a concert photographer)
    Maybe once, SONY will put the same 16MP sensor into a NEX 7N ??

19. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I hope they stick to 24MP - thats really handy for landscape shooting. And the low-light performance is better than I expected, so no real cons from that sensor.

20. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I bought the nex-5n twin lens kit to replace my Nikon D90 as I got fed up carting around a heavy weight camera. The nex-5n gave me the sensor size that matched the Nikon but in a compact size. I didn't go for any of the 4/3rd micro 4/3rd cameras as I wanted the image quality - bokeh etc - which the aps-c sized sensor gives me. I had thought about upgrading to the nex-7 but the price and some of the reviews put me off.