Who'da thunk it? 1st day with a 30 year old, manual lens Zuiko 50 1.4 on NEX-7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by lapdog99, Feb 15, 2012.

1. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    I had to learn a bit about "stopping down", but here are six photos: DSC00509. DSC00507. DSC00499. DSC00493. DSC00489.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I can sense the satisfaction you felt when you were twirling that smooooooth lens barrel! Sharp! Great captured expression on the portrait, that wasn't easy to focus quickly!

I thought we couldn't do colour isolation with adapted lenses??!??

3. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Nice capture mate, I like the oof rendition , looks sharp, and seems to have a neutral contrast that I like in a lens. Very good acquisition :) How is it with flaring?

@ Dioptrick, Colour isolation works on all lenses, however I do find that the wider the angle of the lens the less coverage there is in the colour isolation.

4. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    My 5N won't allow me. I can switch to Intelligent Auto Mode, but from there it won't go to Special Effects.

I've tried it on both my Tamron 24mm and Takumar 55mm, but no go... :(

5. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hmmm, it works fine on the 7, you do have the settings "release without lens" on?

I have the shoot mode on manual, release without lens on and no worries with any of the picture effects.

6. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Just an update, I saw in DPreview regarding some changes they made on the 5n regarding the partial colour effects. Hopefully you can get some answers here

7. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    (moved)

8. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I'll move to a separate thread as this is off topic.

9. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    I don't know how to check for flaring, but I sure like this little lens. Even came with a B&w UV filter. I do find it a little tricky to push the stop-down tabs when shooting above 1.4.

10. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Cool, I usually just take a photo of anything with a bright light source in the background to see if it will flare up, but from the look of things (image of the lady statue laying down) the adjacent building with it's windows has no flare at all (the glare is minimal though). You got youself a pretty little gem mate, congrats!

11. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    looking good..... I love legacy glass....