Whoa! Free Nik Collection!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WoodWorks, Mar 25, 2013.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I got this in my email IN box this morning:

Dear David,

Thanks for being a long-time Nik customer. As a registered owner of one or more of our software products, we are pleased to announce that you are now eligible for a free copy of the new Nik Collection by Google, which includes all six of our award-winning plug-ins for Photoshop, Lightroom, or Aperture.

I figured it had to be some internet phishing scam, but all the links seemed to be legit, so I downloaded it, and sure enough, though I had only purchased Viveza and Color Efex Pro (and Snapseed), I now own the entire Nik Collection. Consider me dumbfounded.

I had some trepidation when Google snapped up Nik. But not anymore.

Did any of the rest of you get this email?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I want too!! I always wanted to buy this collection, but until now haven't been able to fund it easily ... Gratulation to you - it's a totally awesome software collection! I still hope they make it kinda cheaper. :)

3. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Whoaaa!!!! The whole collection is now 70% cheaper! Still have to see the terms of this offer, but at least the full package actually seems 70% cheaper - now let's see what's up with the aperture plug-in set. Their website is so slooow today, I think they sell millions of copies. :D

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Great deal, thanks for posting it up! :)

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Just sent a support question to ask some details, because their new 'Google-ized' website is pretty confusing ... But if it's really the ultimate collection for €115 / USD149, I might well buy it.

6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    For €115, that is an absolute steal! I've been meaning to buy Silver Efex for a long time, but I've never clicked on the BUY button. Now I don't have to! :D

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, for HDR Efex and Silver Efex alone it's absolutely awesome! And Color Efex is something I wanted to try for a long time. The others ... well, they might be handy now and then.

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just checked, it's a great deal indeed. I'm only a bit weary because I suspect that Google will stop developing and supporting the Nik programs, so we might run into trouble with the next version of Lightroom or Photoshop. My finger was just 1 cm away from the Buy button...

9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I had the same concerns as you. Ad. But this latest move has largely relieved them. After all, why would they so drastically lower their price, or even give the software away to current users, and in the process massively increase their user base if their eventual goal is to kill the software? That makes no sense to me.

But then, lots of things people do make no sense to me. :p

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Milking the cash cow before it dies, that's how it's called in business world. But yeah, Google obviously doesn't know how to spell 'business' when you look at what they did in the recent years, so I'm not sure what they're up to.

11. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Wohooo!!! Had just one product... now the complete collection for free!!!

12. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Just downloaded the trial for Mac.
    From what I see seems pretty good for the price.

13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I love their U-Point-thingy. Works absolutely brilliant!

14. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    What is u point?

15. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    This software collection absolutely rocks. Unless you're a SOC, jpeg-only, no-post-processing purist, buying it for US$150 is about as no-brainerish as it gets. I've only used Viveza and Color-Efex Pro to date, but both are fantastic. Viveza is amazing for enhancing your already good photos, and Color Efex Pro is good for getting a little "creative." But I've seen what others have done with Silver Efex Pro, and look forward to dabbling with HDR Efex Pro and the others. Just Buy It! If post processing is not an anathema to you, I swear you won't regret it.

16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It's their tool for making selective adjustments to portions of your images. It sort of serves the same purpose as masking, but is much easier to use.

They have a bunch of fine video tutorials on their web site that explain it, and other aspects of their software tools, and even have on-line classes you can sign up for that allow you to ask questions of the instructor during the class.

I was really afraid that Google was going to totally screw things up with Nik, but I have to admit that so far I'm impressed.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    After applying our 15% coupon code "MU-43", the cost for the entire Nik suite is $126.65! That coupon code is from Mu-43.com, but the revenue from Mu-43.com helps pay for this site's server costs, so it's really a shared coupon code :smile:.

Direct link: Nik Collection

18. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Super deal for everybody looking for this software right there!

19. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Shame they didn't cut the price on the individual programmes - $150 for the package, $30-40 each for individual components. That might have tempted me to pick up the two I would be interested in but at $150 that's working out at $75 each for the two I would use and a whole lot of clutter.

20. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks, that was the last straw, just ordered it!