Who To Send The Camera To For Repair

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by doublezd, Apr 1, 2016.

1. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular

Aug 21, 2015

I have all Sony gear -- 2 mirrorless and a previously owned RX1R (a beautiful fixed lens (Zeiss 35mm) camera).

The RX1R is out of warranty, and is having some issues which call for a diagnosis and possible repair.

Alhough it is not an E mount, I should probably know who to send my gear to or who NOT to send it to in case I need a repair after my A7 and A7ii warranties run out.

I live in Massachusetts and am wondering if anyone can either recommend a highly reliable diagnostic/repair service, OR warn me off of poor repair services.

If you'd rather convo with me than respond here, that would be fine.

I appreciate any help as I love this camera.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    You can try calling Precision Camera. They're an authorized Sony repair facility. They have mixed reviews, but I've sent M43 gear to them before and they repaired my equipment with a quick turn-around time. You can also try calling KEH.com and see if they'll attempt a repair.

Camera Repair Services | Precision Camera
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Sony will repair cameras out of warranty, but there is of course a charge for it. Being Sony, it is probably not inexpensive. However since I have never had to use repair services thus far, I can neither confirm nor deny their reliability or cost effectiveness.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    My only hesitation to send anything direct to Sony is that it's treated like the rest of their electronics line. So your camera repairs go to a facility that also services TVs, PS4 consoles and blu-ray players! At least with an authorized 3rd party camera/lens repair facility, you'll get a clear line of communication with the repair techs and your equipment won't get lost (hopefully) with a gaggle of random electronics.
    • Like Like x 1