1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Who prints?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Nubster, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Just wondering if anyone prints any of their photos?

Print at home? What do you use?

Use an online service? Who?

Sometimes I think about printing my own stuff at home but it can get pretty pricey and for no more than I actually print...I do cut my own mats though.

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I used AdoramaPix last year and was pleased withe results. I only had a few prints made but several books. The books where really good. Real photo paper and a very good binding that can lay flat open.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Costco. I had a photo printer and it was a bigger pain than a value. For all the more I print I can drop them off and pick them up on the way out after shopping.

Or if it's something I've put up on my DeviantArt account I just get them there & they mail them to me.

4. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    I print on an Epson 4880 17" printer. It works very well I think and with 220ml cartridges it is fairly economic. I am very amazed over the printers ability to be "off duty" for several months and prints after that with no trouble. No clogged nozzels so far.

I mount the prints on acid free cardboard using a Seal 210M dry mounting press and frame in readymade frames.

5. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Nice. That's a serious setup.

6. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I usually do photo books of all our private memories and holiday pictures to have them stored for the future if oneday the electronic three times copy storage should fail...
    We definetely want something in hand that our kids can be ashamed of in 30 years... ;-) ;-) ;-)

I use a normal online photo service in Germany (MediaMarkt) to do the books, their quality is really good and the price is certainly right.

7. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Like Markus I order photo books as a physical memory, to pass on to the kids (so they can't pretend they were adopted) Snapfish in the UK. Pretty cheap and reasonable quality.

8. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Peter Chin is my real name.
    I rarely print in quantity (4x5/6s-8x10) now since going digital but i still do print 16x20 and up and it's usually done by these guys at the moment i have a few metal and acrylics being post processed before getting uploaded for printing.
    These are usually not for me though i shoot local sporting events and i usually do a special poster for a young person, something i never had...i usually do this randomly but the receipient is almost always local or attending a local event.

I don't print at home anymore as it's really not cost effective for personal use imo, i use to have a good working relationship with a good printhouse but they closed shop as the owner got older and his daughter the graphic artist got married into big money and doesn't have to ever work again.
    www.posterjacks.ca

This is one of my nephew i took to the driving range a few years ago that i shot with a mobile phone that i'm post processing to go on a 16x20 metal sheet.

[​IMG]

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    I have a Kodak 7250 and I print TONS of 4x6 prints.....:cool:

10. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    We do photo calendars for us, my mother, and my mother-in-law every year. Have used an Epson Stylus Photo R300 for years, printing anywhere from one to four images on 8.5x11 pages.

The R300 actually broken down last year, and I was able to find an R300M on E-bay - Unused, still new in box. I hadn't like what I had seen/read about newer Epson printers, so this worked out well - Got to continue using the ink cartridges we had bought, and have been more than happy with the output of the printer.

Last year's calendar was all full page, landscape photos taken during the previous year - Niagara Falls, Chicago, Orlando, and our various local summer trips. Images from my NEX-5n plus my daughter's 60d (Now a 5dMkII).

11. cptrios

cptrios New to TalkEmount

Feb 18, 2013
    +1. Really cheap and they provide profiles for their printers, which means you can get results as good as anywhere else. El-Co Color is also great if you like to print really large.

And by the way - everyone should print! It's still the best way to see a photo, in my opinion.

12. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I did a run of borderless mounted prints from fotoflōt last year. It's pretty spendy, but the results look very classy. (They do 3:1 and 4:1 panoramas, which is handy.)

I'd like to do a gallery exhibition at some point - still mulling options for printing for that.

I also still think about firing up the old darkroom again...

13. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Yeah, I'd love to do one myself. I'd like to enter some competitions this year too. Nothing serious, just local, but I think it would be fun. I definitely love having my stuff looked at even if it's not that great.

14. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Agree (even though I don't print enough). Visited the Nature's Best Photo exhibit at the Natural History Museum in DC yesterday where the images are superbly printed (4 feet wide and bigger) and superbly displayed. Unbeatable.

15. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Funny how the digital revolution has changed this art form - not just at the capture stage but also for the final delivery method. I'd be kidding myself if I tried to deny that other people experience my work 99% via the web now.

There is something to be said for viewing things at a moderately large scale on a computer screen - I honestly prefer that over smaller prints in many cases. I say this, having scanned old family photo albums and finding new life in many of the images that failed to grab me at 2 x 3" or 3 1/2 x 5".

When I produce a larger print, it certainly changes things. (It's not as casual as throwing something up on Flickr - I take a good hard look at my image, and ask myself is this really worth spending a bunch of $$$ for just one hard copy? Is someone going to want this on their wall for decades?)

I think larger printing provides the most complete context for all the resolving power we now enjoy with our cameras. Pixel peeping onscreen is all very fine and well but printing 20x30" gives a much better sense for how adequate our lenses and sensors truly are.

16. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I always print a good photo at home and put it on my magnet board (a black Sigel glass magnet board - pretty sleek). If I still think it's a great photo after several weeks, I might just as well order a big print online. Last year, my most expensive print was a 120x80 print on aluminum, which ended up costing me about 150€ - but it's just awesome to look at it every day and tell myself "Gosh, I want just to go out and shoot it again!".

For me, photography is not complete without printing. It's the final stage, the physical product, the way my art should be seen by others - even if my prints usually don't make it out of my house.

17. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    I've done a lot of printing in the past two years, mainly because for A-level/GCSE art you have to print it, and the school printers have shockingly bad dynamic range. I've never stepped up to anything like an aluminum print however, not sure whether I have anything I'd spend that much to look at every day. Plus of course it's the question of all that money in the first place! I'd rather spend it on new equipment, since I have very few lenses and no flashes etc.

18. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
  19. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I personally have an electronic photo frame that I update quite frequently. Additionally I share all of the family pictures via an online site.

However we have a few large multi picture frames that my wife updates every year or so. We perhaps print up 40 pictures a year at the local Costco.

20. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    That is interesting. I've always used either Mpix, which got pretty decent reviews, or Shutterfly, which was at the bottom. I thought prints were comparable and I never really felt there was anything wrong with the Shutterfly prints. I'll definitely give the top two labs a try though, maybe I'll do my own little comparison between several of the reviewed labs to see. Thanks for the link.