1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Who prefer Color or B/W?

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by freddytto, Nov 27, 2012.

1. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I'm more a fan of photography in B / W, here I have two photos, the PP was in Silver Efex Pro2 and LR4 and save two files one in color and B/W, so I wondered what they prefer, personally I love it in B/W, but I want to know your opinions in the first picture I love the drama in the sky but looks too dark and clouds create a tough atmosphere, the reflections in the buildings look great .

In the second photo is in the Public Library in NY, so i I like more in B / W, both shots were made with the kit 18-55mm , 5R and 7 in the second photo.
    Which you prefer and why?

8225174299_55d2aecf84_b.
    Walking with giants by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

8225173673_1a082e270e_b.
    The New York Library by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

8226290446_a8298f2b8f_b.
    The New York Library B/W by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I don't think the sky is too dark on the first photo.

I prefer colour on the second photo. The golden colour of the glass window give me a good feeling.

Can you hear that, Freddytto?
    Maybe you can't... but that is the sound of my hands clapping, lol! :D

3. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    : O thanks for the comment,I was it seemed like a lot of drama in first photo, or maybe it's me, but in the second shot, increase the shadows so that way looks better and in B/W that detail is lost .. good point .. friend

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Well I think it's a no-brainer nowadays to shoot in color and PP to B&W because adjusting levels according to tone completely negates the need for the colored filters of old (now when people in the 80s shot those amazing B&W pictures, that was real hard work!).

Personally I prefer color photos, but occasionally the ability to play with contrast in B&W will outshine the color pop. I usually shoot indoors in fluorescent non-contrasty light though, which means everything I switch to B&W needs serious PPing to make it have any kind of pop and then it risks being overdone.

On your pics, I think you oversaturated the building a tiny bit, but otherwise I like the quality of the window light in the color shot a lot more - it gives that zing to it that the B&W lacks. Of course an old building in B&W just feels "right" naturally like it came out of a history book, but I'd prefer the color more! Have you tried undersaturating your photos? I like this effect sometimes when you're caught between both worlds. Perhaps lighten the blues a bit to put more emphasis on the glass. As for the first shot, it's fantastic, no further comment!

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I think all three versions are good photos, but to my taste PP is overdone on all three. I feel it's best to keep it rather low key when PP'ing, it's too easy to get carried away and go overboard. Just my 02 cts.

6. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Love that first one with the roiling sky, brings the whole thing alive in my opinion. I also like the second in black and white better mainly because I think that the sky detracts from the image in the colour version.

7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    In the first, I'd suggest trying the various colour filters available in Silver Efex. These work in the same way as the yellow, red, green, etc filters that were used for b&w film photography.

In the second example I'd take the b&w version. The colour version is over-saturated as has a very digital looking cyan sky.

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I love the first B&W photo!!! - the sky/clouds are very "powerful" IMHO
    And from the library shot, I'd choose the coloured one ;)

9. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    +1

10. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Thanks guys for your comments, really, I've been testing a bit, as I mentioned at the beginning I am a big fan of photography in B / W, with grain, monochromo, vignettes, I think I have to learn a little more in PP color : ( thanks to all ....

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ah man, I thought I already replied to this thread…

Love the first one Freddy, prefer the color shot over the B&W for the second one. The color in the windows makes that shot. IMO.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Like you, I'm a big fan of b&w, that's not to say I don't enjoy colour images because I do as well. But there is something in b&w images that draws me to it, whether it's the artistic expression of the photographer, the relationship of the tones and contrasts of the images, or just how the image plays with your imagination since it's your imagination that will have to supply the colours to the image.

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey stranger, good to see you're still kickin'. :)

14. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Hey Phoenix!! How are you my friend? :)

15. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    +1

Perhaps if the sky where toned down a bit in the second pic I would prefer it to the B&W as I think the windows are wonderful.

16. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi folks! Been shooting with different gear (which shall not be named :p) but been dropping by now and then to see what's going on. I haven't shot anything for awhile now, I've severely injured my ankle and mobility has been very limited, but I'm healing pretty well so it's all good.

So many developments with the NEX, even talks about a full framed model, these are truly interesting times for the NEX system and it's users :D

17. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    All three are just a bit "over the top" for me. Of the three I do prefer the B&W though.
    BJW

18. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey BJW, welcome aboard!