1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Who has a mount lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Apr 29, 2015.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to ask people here if they have any a-mount lenses that they can use through the LA-EA2 adapter (or any other LA adapter).
    Can you share some of the models you have and if the auto focus is working properly?

I can see many good prices at the a mount lenses and perhaps the LA adapter is a good investment in the long term
    Regards
    Alex

2. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Use an LA-EA4 on my A7ii. Have several A mount, Minolta and Tamron. Really like the Tamron 28-200 which I got at an estate sale. 50 1.7, 75-210 beer can and a couple others. Autofocus works, but can be a touch stubborn in low contrast areas. Also have a fotodiox and some old olympus zuiko lenses. The oly 50 1.2 is amazing.

3. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    I habe both FF and APS-C lenses in A-Mount ( probably around 40 lenses from Minolta, Sony, Sigma and Tamron) and even the Sigma HSM 8-16, 50-150 ( some could have compatibility issues)work well with both LA-EA2 and 4.

The only few that may cause problems could be the 1988 entry level kit lenses: Minolta Power zooms (28-80, 35-80 and 80-200 PZ ). If you stay away from those, All Minolta and Sony lenses will work with your adapter. Some older Tamron and Sigma's may have issues but these are documented in other sites databases (Dyxum)

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  5. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I have the LA-EA4 adaptor and use it with Sony's "Easy Choice," 85mm f/2.8 SAM, A-mount lens. The combination seems to use the full 5-axis stabilisation of the A7II. (This is from my blog at www.billdanby.com):

The lens is plastic, with a plastic mount. By itself the lens is small and light; but with the adaptor, the combination is about what you would expect for an 85mm.

It's noisy in auto-focus mode, in part because the external ring actually turns. And, there's some extension of the lens during focus. But, for all that, it's surprisingly quick. Auto-focus is assisted, no doubt, by the phase-detection built into the adaptor. When the lens is set to manual focus, there's a bit of play in the ring.

6. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I have the A mount 135 f1.8 with the Laea4 adapter. It is a little slower to focus than some other A mount lenses because it doesnt have the newer SSM af motor but still focusing if pretty quick. I think focusing is generally about as fast as the A7ii. The adapter is by no means perfect though. The pdaf focus points come from the A57 focusing system which only covers a reasonable part of an APSC sensor, so there is a need to focus and recompose quite often. From an 'investment' perspective dont be surprised if Sony introduces a newer better adapter in the future.

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Really? Can you share some video with that lens or some picture with the auto focus points? How many great lenses available there

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    The current bargains I see for aps-c users are (please comment what you think)

SAL 85: 200 euros prime lens
    SAL 18200: costs 250 euros (just compare prices with the SEL 18200)
    SAL 18250: costs 450 euros

and even more interesting lens for me:
    SAL-2875 with a constant 2.8 aperture at 450 euros! (great focal lengths for my portraiture work or group shots)

or the
    Minolta 80-200 2.8 at 500 euros
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Minolta-AF-A...09?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item20fafb8a49

The only think that keeps me reluctant is the following... If there is a gem of affordable lenses in a-mount why these lenses are not more popular in emount community? I can not be of the few that found the paraside.. perhaps I am the most ignorant then?

Just comment as you feel
    Alex

9. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    There is no IBIS with nex/A6000/A7 etc. Also some of these af are slow esp in low light, since they are old af systems and noisy too. I am a little surprised about that esp after trying the expensive Minolta 100mm/Sony Zeiss 135mm primes. I am used to primes focusing faster even the old Canon EF lenses. Beercan 70-210 af speed was better in low light then the 100/135mm. I see similar remarks for the Sony Zeiss 85mm and people changing to Sigma hsm version. So be cautious on lens selections and try of you have a chance or check for online reviews.

Here is review for the adapters:
    http://kurtmunger.com/sony_la_ea2_nexid333.html
    http://phillipreeve.net/blog/sony-la-ea4/
    http://www.panotwins.de/technical/comparing-sony-la-ea2-and-sony-la-ea4/

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks. Regarding the IBIS I care not much to be honest.. and I think this would be added in next camera releases (I do not hope for that though anyway).
    Regarding the autofocus I am not sure how fast it is. I think is similar to the A7... anyway I just need for still objects so I guess it would be the biggest problem.
    I am mostly worried how these a mount lenses compare to the e mount lenses. For example the SAL 18200 gets higher grade from dxo mark than the SEL 18200 (I am not sure though if one can just compare the numbers just as that). The first one is 200 euros less than the SEL 18200 which also allows me to buy with that 200 euros the adapter.
    Does it sound bad? Yes or No?
    Alex

11. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I have the LA-EA1 and got pretty good with manual focusing using focus peaking and magnification.

I felt, however that I was missing shots ( I used it with my Minolta 200mm 2.8 for actions/sports) so I decided to pony up for the LA-EA4. The AF is certainly less work than manual but I'm not sure
    I'm getting a better hit rate. I am getting more shots that are "close to" spot on focus, especially when the action picks up - but actual spot on focused shots seem to be about the same. The other thing to
    consider with the LA-EA4 is the translucent mirror which results in about a 1/3 stop loss of light. I don't really notice it when shooting outside but I do notice it when I shoot indoors.

After hundreds of shots (maybe thousands) using manual focus I think I got really good at "zone" focusing. Maybe I just need to use the AF more - I've started experimenting with the different modes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I am not doing sports photography or anything really continuous focusing intensive. My subjects are still so a moderate slow focus would work for me
    Alex

13. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    I have found most of the Minolta AF 35mm lenses to be quite good and cheaper than their digital later models.
    I've seen a lot of old nikon 35 mm lenses at estate sales, so think my next purchase will be a nikon to e mount adapter.

14. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I guess that we do not have yet nikon to emount adapter with auto focus. Is not that right?
    Regards
    Alex

15. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    I think metabones may make one, but I'm interested in the manual 35mm lenses.

16. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    here

17. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    even cheaper!!! 2.8 constant aperture lens with auto focus. So guys where is wrong in what I am saying.. why other donot get that psyched about the amount lenses (that they do not need the ultra focus fast speed of a6000)

18. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have the Beercan (Minolta 70-210/4) and mini-Beercan (Minolta 35-70/4 Macro). Also used to have an A-mount Sigma 12-24.

The issue with all of these lenses (other than perhaps mini-Beercan) is size and weight. IBIS would've helped quite a bit but still, they are heavy and large and over the years I came to appreciate the small size of native E-mount.

19. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I use my LA-EA4 with the SAL50M14 mostly. I really like that on the A6000, but also use that combo on the A7ii. I bought the adapter to use more with the A7ii, but find I prefer it with my A lenses on the A6000. The 55-300 is quite usable. We all talk about this here, and in other threads, and it really makes me realize how good a camera the A77ii is. Yes, it is big and bulky in comparison to the two E-mount bodies, but when you consider the adapter, not so much. The AF is great, better than the A7ii, but not as fast as the A6000. Alas, it stays in its bag more than my other Sonys, but when I jones for an old-school DSLR-like body...

• Like Like x 2