1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

white balance follies

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Bimjo, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    A nice boat wake wave scene from my trip to the river Friday evening. As I was processing those shots I started to play around a bit in ACR, some results of which you've already seen in the "liquid gold" post.

Never content to leave well enough alone I decided to see what difference changing the white balance setting made in the look of the pics and if it made it much easier to achieve the look I was going for.

Shot 1- So, here's this shot as I processed it normally.
    _normal.

Shot 2- And this is my original effort at the "liquid gold" appearance.
    _processed.

Shot 3- Then, in my effort to make things easier I copied Shot 1 and made one change- WB setting to "cloudy".
    _cloudy.

Shot 4- And finally I went the other direction and changed the WB setting to "tungsten" and this is the result.
    _tungsten.

Shot 2 is a little more reddish-orange than Shot 3, but I did that on purpose as I processed that version of the file. Rather than stumble around like I did creating Shot 2, I could have changed the WB to "cloudy" like I did for Shot 3 and adjusted the red/orange sliders in ACR and saved myself considerable time.

I probably already knew this stuff, but unfortunately my brain housing group is not an infinite space (contrary to rumors otherwise) so when it gets full something has to leave to make room for new info. Much like Alzheimer's patients are always meeting "new" friends, I am constantly learning "new" things.

Life is never boring around here. :biggrin::p:cool:

• Like Like x 4
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I just processed 127 images from friends 50th birthday party. Adjusting white balance was worth it (17 of these got much more processing).

My friend didn't understand need for white balance correction and noise reduction (later was done in a batch process) 'Don't you just take JPGs out of the camera?'.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Funny how simple things can sometimes be...
    Very nice work Jim!!! And I think that "Tungsten" WB setting works pretty well ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    What a difference it makes

• Like Like x 1
  5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA