1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which tripod for my nex6?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dejavu2339, Jun 2, 2013.

1. dejavu2339

dejavu2339 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    I want to buy a tripod..
    Light and a short version for easy carry

2. GaryR60

GaryR60 TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2013
    Seattle
    Neither light nor short is a good idea for a tripod. It's not about how easy it is to carry, it's about how well it performs it's only function, which is to hold the camera stable enough, under all conditions, to avoid camera motion. To that end, what you should get is the heaviest tripod you can afford, not some thin, light wobbly little thing that is easy to carry. Furthermore, you want to use a tripod that can handle all height adjustments, from hugging the ground to eye level. It's rather tiring to hunch over repeatedly in order to look through the viewfinder. You want to able to sight your subject and focus comfortably, otherwise, you won't be focused upon what you're doing.

3. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but I also am looking at tripods and with the criteria you mention in mind, are there any suggestions? What is the minimum one would likely need to pay for a good quality tripod?

4. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    I, respectfully, disagree with the premise that you should get "the heaviest tripod you can afford." Weight really had nothing to do with it. With a tripod, what you are seeking is a rigid support for the camera. Hat you are trying to control/avoid is camear movement, which will effect sharpness of the image. I have a large, carbon fiber tripod which is lighter than mu smaller aluminum pod. It is also more rigid and stable. I think it is a given that all photography equipment involves a compromise. Given that, I will make the statement that almost any tripod is better than no tripod, when a camera support is called for. In addition to my large carbon fiber tripod, I also have two travel tripods. One is a MeFoto and the other (even smaller) is a Sirui. Both are small and light. But when travel restrictions are involved, they fit the bill and are still preferable to no tripod. When using the Nex, a large, heavy tripod is less critical than with a large DSLR camera.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I agree with LightCentric. What does a tripod give you if you don't take it with you? And: With the swivel screens in the NEX-cameras, having the camera at eye-level for focusing purposes is totally pointless. Most good tripods also have a hinge at the gravity center where you can add your backpack or whatever to the weight of the tripod. And Trey Ratcliff says in windy situations, it's pretty effective to shield the tripod with your body. ;)

Which tripod to get? A Sirui T-005X or T-025X (depends on how much money you want to spend), no question. Sure, if you need a bigger one for some reason, there are bigger ones. But if not - it's the perfect tripod. I tried many tripods, and no one, ever, came even close to the performance of the Sirui while staying so incredibly light and tiny when folded.

6. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Of course the choice will depend on where you have to take, how much you're going to use it, and how much it costs.

When I looked at my own situation, however, I couldn't afford carbon. I don't usually travel with mine, so I was happy to look at aluminium. The Benro models (on Ebay) seemed a relative bargain.

All I can say is that Benro has worked well for me.

Good luck.

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    You cost me money Poki ;)

I was looking for a tripod.

I'm lucky enough to try them out in person. I looked at the Velbon Ultrek UT 43D and the two modules of Sirui Poki mentions.

I decided to get the Sirui T-025X. Bought it 10 minutes ago so no photos yet.

Thanks again Poki :)

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Glad I could help. These are awesome tripods, you won't regret it. :)

Edit: Removing the middle column gives them much more stability, if you want it.

9. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Great, thanks for the tip.

10. dejavu2339

Mar 25, 2013
    What about manfretto mkc3

11. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I looked at the Manfretto tripods today along with Gizmo, Vanguard, Velbon, Benro, MeFoto, Sirui and a host of others.

The smaller Manfrettos did not seem very sturdy. They wobbled a bit. Surprisingly they were actually heavier than the Velbon or Sirui models I looked at but didn't seem as sturdy. I don't remember the model numbers though, so I can't be sure I looked at the one you mention.

Gizmo was out of my price range and Vanguard made to hold houses up and also seriously expensive. It got down to the Velbon and Sirui. I preferred the Sirui although the Velbon was taller. I'm only 5'9" (1.76m) so this didn't bother me too much. The Sirui folds down much shorter and I found it easier to quickly fully extend.

I decided to go with the carbon fibre. There was a little weight savings that is important to me. I don't own a car in China, so I'm always on foot or public transport. The size and weight is really important for everyday use for me not just on trips, but I think for most the aluminium would be just as good. (although I'd have to imagine a bit of a pain in frigid temps)

i-pzthMrt-1024x1024.

i-4gvVM2M-1024x1024.

i-5RHXFnh-1024x1024.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice thread :thumbup:

Probably a noob observation but here goes:
    ^^I never quite understood why when using tripods they choose to place the sole leg at the back instead of the front? It looks to me that the above way is more prone to danger hitting the tripod (and camera falling down) when you have the "leg" inside your 2 legs and moving around the tripod...
    Doesn't look like its cause of balancing issues...

13. dejavu2339

Mar 25, 2013
    So i decided to buy sirui t005

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The T-005 or the T-005X? I ask because the latter one folds smaller, has a better ball head (well, actually it's mainly the quick release plate, which grips much better with some kind of sticky material on it) and isn't much more expensive.

15. dejavu2339

Mar 25, 2013
    Quik relase plate t005x more better or not ?

16. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Nah, you can turn the head anyway you want. I just put it up that way to take the picture. I didn't think about it.

17. GeirJ

GeirJ New to TalkEmount

Nov 20, 2012
    My favourite tripod when I want to travel light is a Leitz table tripod which I bought second hand in the seventies. I usually find something to place it on or I can hold it against a wall, a tree or a lamp post.