Which should I keep...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by txbkst, Dec 26, 2012.

1. txbkst

txbkst TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    I want to get the Sony 55-210, but to fund that I either need to return the 18-55 or 50/1.8. I really like the 50/1.8 (once I sorted out some issues), but I am worried that I will miss the versatility of the 18-55. I also have some Canon manual lenses (28, 35, 50), so I guess I could go that route for the wider angle, I just like that DMF! Any advice?
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Are you a AF shooter that dabbles in MF or a MF shooter that dabbles in AF? Determining which you are will give you the answer you seek.
  3. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would keep the 50 f/1.8, because I love the primes -- and the 50 is a great lens. I sounds to me, however, that you prefer the flexibility of the zooms, so perhaps you should give up the 50. You'll have to decide, of course.
  4. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Keep them all and save a little longer thats what I would do.
  5. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Depending on which Canon 50 you have, you'll probably get similar performance to the Sony 50, but with MF. If you get rid of the 18-55, you will have no wide angle at all. Plus, if funding a new lens is the issue, how much will the 18-55 really bring? I would imagine you'd get more for the 50. I do agree with Simsy though, it never hurts to save a little longer and not make a decision you'll regret later.
  6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Okay fellow NEX-er... I have two 18-55 lenses in black. One came with the NEX-7, and prior to that, I'd bought one. One had a giant dust bolder in front of the rear element, so I sent it to Sony for cleaning. When it comes back, I'll let you know and we'll break up the $175 into 4 parts. After two are paid, I'll mail it to you. You can then pay me the other two over the next two months. Helps me, helps you. Saves me ebay fees and keeps it in the family.