Which SD cards for my A7 III?

Which SD cards for my A7 III?

• 2x Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro UHS-I cards (Least performance, gets the job done)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 2x Transcend 64gb 700S UHS-II cards (Middle performance, not sure about reliability)

• 2x Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb UHS-II SD cards (Best performance, less memory)

• Total voters

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm planning to buy new SD cards for my A7 III bodies, but I'm currently on the fence. I usually buy Sandisk and ideally I'd buy two 64gb UHS-II SD cards, but they're quite spendy. To be honest I don't shoot my A7 III at Continuous Hi+ and when I do it's only for a brief period. Usually I'm fine shooting at C-AF MID for most my daily shooting and haven't had an issue sticking to more affordable high quality UHS-I cards. I've been looking at Transcend SD UHS-II cards and their performance lies between Sandisk UHS-II cards and high quality Sandisk UHS-I cards. I'm currently using Sandisk 32gb UHS-I cards, but I want to increase capacity in order to record higher quality video for longer periods, hence I've been looking at 64gb cards.

I was thinking I can get a pair of 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I cards for video - or- I can just get a pair of Transcend 64gb UHS-II cards for both stills and videos -or- just stick to a pair of Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb UHS-II cards paired with my current Sandisk 32gb UHS-I cards (I have dual card slots) which still gives me about 1:20 hrs. of 4k video or more at smaller sizes.

I can't decide which cards to get right now, so help me decide!

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I use two of these cards in my A7iii. I normally shoot one shot at a time though, so have never had a problem.
I think my camera (A7iii) came with (2) SanDisk 16gb cards just for starters.
I bought these SanDisk cards when I got my D7000, so they've been around for a while.
Edit: I just checked my D7000 and it has the 16gb cards still in it from when I bought that camera. So, this card pictured must have been bought when I got my A7iii. I have a Pixtor 32gb in my A7ii.

IMG_2194.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

MWhite

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
If these are your choices, I would go for reliability. It would do no good if the data transfer to the card was fast but then lost due to card construction. I've had very good luck with SanDisk cards. I currently have a Lexar UHS-II in slot 1 - I think B&H had a deal going when I bought it.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
To be honest I've never had an issue with Transcend cards now that I think of it!

I decided to go with a Transcend 64GB UHS-I (V3/U3 rated 4K capable) SD card for slot 2 aimed at video and a Transcend 32GB UHS-II SD card for slot 1 aimed at stills. I was able to get a pair each with this setup. I'll stress test them to see how they hold up and return them if they cr*p out on me! :D

I'll report back when I receive them this week. Thanks!

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I thought there was some sort of requirement of 64GB minimum for recording at the maximum codec spec with Sony bodies, no?
My concern would be warranty. I found out the hard way when my fast Sony SD died in camera and discovered they only had a 1 year warranty. Sandisk has been my replacement cards for their lifetime warranty. Don't know the rep of Transcend cards.
Unless you need the bandwidth, I think the fastest of the Extreme UHS-1 cards will work fine. You really have to fill the buffer to see a slow down.
The faster Extreme Pro UHS-I cards are definitely performing at a higher transfer rate than their Ultra Plus line. The writes are quicker.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I thought there was some sort of requirement of 64GB minimum for recording at the maximum codec spec with Sony bodies, no?
My concern would be warranty. I found out the hard way when my fast Sony SD died in camera and discovered they only had a 1 year warranty. Sandisk has been my replacement cards for their lifetime warranty. Don't know the rep of Transcend cards.
Unless you need the bandwidth, I think the fastest of the Extreme UHS-1 cards will work fine. You really have to fill the buffer to see a slow down.
The faster Extreme Pro UHS-I cards are definitely performing at a higher transfer rate than their Ultra Plus line. The writes are quicker.
I'll see how these Transcend cards work. If they don't live up to expectations, I can return them. I can also see myself just sticking with UHS-I and getting these Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro cards. They're performance is higher than the competition and priced well. I guess I want to see if I'd like the additional write speeds of UHS-II SD cards even though I really don't need it.

* Here are those 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards

dburanich

TalkEmount Regular
I've been using the Sony SF-G64/T1 cards.
64 GB UHS-II 300 mb/s.
It was rated as the best when I bought them.
I was concerned about warranty as well.
No problems.
Video has never skipped a beat.
If I remember right one of the card slots writes at a slower speed than the other.
You can save a little $$ there.
I decided to get both the same in case I put the slower card in the wrong slot.
The Transcends are definitely a better deal than the Sony.

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I've been using the Sony SF-G64/T1 cards.
64 GB UHS-II 300 mb/s.
It was rated as the best when I bought them.
I was concerned about warranty as well.
No problems.
Video has never skipped a beat.
If I remember right one of the card slots writes at a slower speed than the other.
You can save a little $$ there.
I decided to get both the same in case I put the slower card in the wrong slot.
The Transcends are definitely a better deal than the Sony.
The Sony G (and Tough) cards definitely rate the highest, but from what I read a V30/U3 spec UHS-I SD card works fine for 4K video on the A7III using slot 2. I'm fine at 32GB for stills using slot 1 with UHS-II. I don't see the need getting a large card for just stills since I've never maxed my 32GB SD cards on a shoot!

BTW - I used this guide for SD card performance:
https://alikgriffin.com/best-memory-cards-sony-a7iii/

I've opted not to get the 170MB/s Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro SD cards, apparently they perform worst than the older 95/s Extreme Pro SD cards.

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I received my Transcend cards yesterday and put the 32GB UHS-II card in slot 1 and the 64GB UHS-I card in slot 2. They seem to work just fine. I also set my card priority using slot 1 for stills and slot 2 for video which can be found in menu Setup > Setup6 > Rec. Media Settings > Recording Mode > Sort (stills/video).

I opted mainly for the Transcend 64GB 500S series UHS-I card because from my research it uses MLC nand memory as-described on the Transcend website which is supposed to have better reliability as opposed to 3D Nand memory used on their cheaper 300S series which are mainly used for high capacity storage. Write speeds for both cards are: 500S series 95/65 MB/s read/write speed and 300S series 95/40 MB/s. I was really leaning towards the cheaper card since it meets the minimum requirement for 4K recording on the A7III, but I figure I should just pay a little extra since it will be used for video usage.

Regarding the Transcend 32GB 700S UHS-II card, I opted for that over other options mainly based on lower price and mid-tier UHS-II performance. It's not the fastest UHS-II card, but it's also significantly cheaper than other options, while still being very fast.

If anyone is interested, here are the cards I purchased:

Transcend 32GB UHS-II 700S Series SD Card ($32 USD)

Transcend 64GB UHS-I 500S Series SD Card ($26 USD)

Transcend 64GB UHS-I 300S Series SD Card - If you're interested in cheap 4K capable memory ($12 USD)

Another option that I found is that you can also get Lexar 2000x UHS-II cards and Lexar 1000x UHS-I cards, that will be priced within a few dollars of the Transcend cards. I was considering leaning that direction, but opted for the Transcend cards based on the detailed info on their website. I hope this helps anyone deciding on memory. This selection was mainly based on performance while keep price affordability in mind. Though if you want to spend extra to get top tier performance you can just get the Sony Tough SD cards and call it a day! ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom