1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which one, and can you even see the difference ?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Amamba, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I've been going nuts trying to figure out why in the world was my photo processed on a calibrated monitor looking different in a supposedly color managed IE11. Apparently it's not. The reds were coming out oversaturated and the blacks seemed too dark.

So I installed & configured Firefox and it seems to be color aware... but now my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Which of the following two versions (one has slightly stronger contrast than another) would you pick ? Or, would you reduce the contrast in darks even further ? Thanks a lot !

DSC06945_1 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

#2 slightly more contrast

DSC06945_1 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I'm not qualified to get into specifics if something seems over processed or not.

What I can say is that the first one is darker to me, and looks very slightly better than the the second one.
    I tried to go to full screen to compare each, but Flickr wouldn't let me see the second one full screen.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Based on the clouds, the first sample appears to have more contrast in the sky.
    They don't look that different to me at this resolution, but if I am to choose...1.

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    #1 looks darker to me - Windows 10 with Firefox, Chrome, IE11, and Edge.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I believe #2 has the higher contrast by comparing the roofs. To me, #1 is more appealing. #2 looks too "digital", if that makes any sense.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    FWIW, and of course it's a matter of taste, but both look overly contrasty on my iPad mini with the retina display (with my reading glasses on :D), but the first is less so.